Deployed Warriors Group holds drive to benefit military families

Cathedral Catholic’s Deployed Warriors Support Group is holding a drive to benefit military families.

On Friday, April 27th, students may bring any kind of toiletries, hand wipes, sun screen, phone cards, or and hard candy that may remain intact through hot weather.

The Deployed Warrior’s Support Group is led by two students who are members of an active duty Navy family.  Their parents will provide the network to get the donated articles to the deployed warriors.

Father Brian Kelly,  the spiritual and faculty moderator of the support group said, “We have very busy lives and easily forget that there are men and women who are forward deployed in harm’s way defending our freedom.  We need to be conscious of the sacrifices they are making.  Freedom is not free!”

The Deployed Warrior’s Support Group was created, as Father Kelly said, “to provide a safe environment for students to share their ideas, frustrations, fears, and hopes of living in a fast-paced military lifestyle.”

He said he started the support group this school year in order to encourage students with family members or friends in the military to “come together and support each other.”

He said, “Military families have a very unique lifestyle which many civilian families cannot even begin to understand.”

Students are encouraged to bring items to Father Kelly’s office or classroom in De Sales Hall by Friday, April 27th.  However, those wishing to bring donations to Father Kelly’s on Monday, April 30th may be assured that the items will find their way to the group leaders.

Father Kelly said, “To pray and support with time, talent, or treasure for the causes for which others are sacrificing their lives is in direct understanding of living out our discipleship with God.”