Nominate CC drama for San Diego’s “Best Live Theater Group”

Nominate CC drama for San Diegos Best Live Theater Group

Students can nominate Cathedral Catholic’s Drama Department for the “Best Live Theater Group” in San Diego award.  The poll is part of SignOnSanDiego’s fifteenth annual San Diego’s Best Reader’s Poll.

The “Best Live Theater Group” award is part of the Entertainment section of the Best Reader’s Poll.  The entire poll features twelve different sections relating to San Diego, including “Healthy Living,” “Home Improvement,” and “Bars & Nightlife.”

Drama teacher Ms. Katie Wilson said she received requests from a few local theater companies, including youth companies, soliciting her vote for the “Best Of” competition.  “I thought, ‘We should enter.  We are the best!’  There are many wonderful youth and high school theater groups, but we really do present the best live theater by far!” she said.

Ms. Wilson urges the CCHS student body to nominate her drama department for the award.  “We do everything with our audience in mind,” she said.  “And our primary audience is the CCHS student body!  Every artistic decision is made with them in mind, and this is their way to show us and the rest of San Diego how we did!”

She continued, “High school actors don’t have many venues to be honored like athletics do.  This is like CIF to us.   I would love to see my students and their work honored in this way!  They deserve it!”

Junior drama tech student Linh Nguyen said, “Everyone has an opportunity to participate in drama, whether it be onstage or backstage.  We all work together putting in tons of hard work to make a show the best we can.”

According to Ms. Wilson, CCHS’ 2011 spring musical, Hairspray, showcased exactly why the drama students deserve the award.  “Hairspray was just excellent in every way. It showcased our multi-talented students, so many of them,” she said.

In explaining why Cathedral’s Drama Department deserves the recognition, senior drama student Hugh Yoder, who played a “Dyna guy” in Hairspray, said, “Two words – Ms. Wilson.”

Linh agrees.  She attributes the success of the Drama Department to its leader.  “Ms. Wilson is always open to people’s ideas and always encourages us,” she said.

Ms. Wilson highlighted the work that she and her students have completed to deserve the title.  She said, “We have worked diligently on every aspect of production – sets, lights, sound, costuming, singing, dancing, acting, customer service, concessions – all to assure we are the best at what we do!   We take pride in that!  And we have heart!”

Nominations are being accepted from Monday May 9th to Wednesday May 25th.  Those interested may visit the link below and enter “Cathedral Catholic High School Drama” into the submission box for “Best Live Theater Group.”  Each person can nominate once every twenty four hours.  Following nominations, official voting will take place from June 3rd to June 25th.  Winners of SignOnSanDiego’s “Best Of” competition will be announced in September.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/bestof/2011/nominate/entertainment/live-theater-group/

View Comments (1)

• K

Katie WilsonJun 11, 2011 at 9:14 PM

WELL WE MADE THE TOP TEN!!! VOTE EVERY DAY EVERYONE! 🙂 LET’S WIN THIS!!! 🙂

Reply