Dance Team’s “Viva la Don” opens March 19th and 20th

Dance Teams Viva la Don opens March 19th and 20th

With the highly anticipated performances at half-time and rallies, the CCHS dance continues to impress with their high-spirited and entertaining performances.  Not only is the dance team working hard for these performances, but also for their annual spring dance concert, Viva la Don, which takes place March 19th and March 20th.

The team consists of 20 members, including their captains Rebecca Noya, Lauren Lynch, and Caitlyn Guarano. They have 3 scheduled practices a week, but if they are preparing for an upcoming performance, they have additional practices.

“A lot of people don’t understand how hard the dance team works because people don’t see it,” said senior dancer Rebecca Noya.

A normal practice starts out with intense stretching, followed by conditioning to work on technique, and finally the learning and practice of new choreography.

The coach of the dance team, Ms. Sara Orbita, is in charge of the choreography, but they also pay to have different guest choreographers from other studios come and teach. The captains also contribute by helping choreograph some of the dances.

Since the team is so busy with half-time shows and now with their spring dance concert, they have not competed in competition since 2008. But the last time they competed, they placed 3rd in lyrical and 2nd in hip-hop. “We hope to have the team competing again next year,” said Rebecca Noya.

The dance team’s annual spring dance concert is Viva la Don, with the theme being a tribute to Las Vegas.  All the dances are centered around this theme. The show consists of about 25 dances, ranging from a variety of styles including ballet, jazz, contemporary, and hip-hop. A lot of the pieces in the show are student choreographed, and every senior gets to perform a solo.

“We’ve been working really hard for the last couple of months and are really looking forward to everyone coming to see it,” said junior Kelly Madden. The show takes place on March 19th March 20th.

The dance team is very close after spending so much time together in practices, the annual team sleepover, or team lunches and dinners. Even just praying before they perform brings the team closer together.

“In just a few short months of being on the team, we all become sisters,” said Noya.