United against violence

Angelina Hicks, Copy Editor

The United Student Leadership Council led an all-school prayer service on Wednesday in the Claver Center to honor the 17 lives lost during the recent shooting in Parkland, Florida. Members of the USLC briefly described each student or teacher from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who was killed on Feb. 14, offering up a prayer for him or her and the respective family. The USLC, consisting of 12 Cathedral Catholic High School sophomores, juniors, and seniors, is a representative group of students from different stakeholder groups on campus who were selected to represent the student body and voice student concerns to administration in order to invoke change regarding social issues as well as ensure campus security at CCHS.  The main goal of the USLC is to ensure that the diverse political opinions of all individuals on campus are respected and heard by administration.

About the Writer
Angelina Hicks, News Editor

During my second year on the El Cid staff, this time honored with the title of News Editor, I plan to spend every moment striving to improve academically and intellectually while also making joyous memories in the ever-growing journalism program. After getting my feet wet last year as Copy Editor, I look forward to continuing my growth as a journalist and pushing myself farther than I ever thought possible in order to achieve greatness with my writing. Not only did my writing’s quality grow exponentially throughout last year, but my confidence did as well. Before I realized it, my heart found its place with the El Cid members, a group of students I can truly call my second family. Through writing about various individuals on campus and learning the art of interviewing, I gained life lessons I never could have gained anywhere else. I cannot wait to help expand the wonderful journalism program for another year through my passion and hard work.