Bits & Bytes of Tech: Emojis invade Facebook

Cole Parsons, Photo Editor

Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook team recently created “Reactions”, a new feature launched in response to a public request for a dislike button on the popular social media site.

Cathedral Catholic High School Senior, Matt Nguyen, said ultimately, it boils down to ease of use for most people.

“People want an easier way to describe how they feel, in this case, using emojis,” he said.

A significant number of the new inventions in the modern world are about increasing time efficiency. If people are going to spend ten minutes of their day catching up on the lives of their friends and family, they want it to be as easy and straightforward as possible.

Now, instead of leaving comments, Facebook users will be able to hold down on the like button and swipe up for a list of emojis they can select to express their feelings about a post. This feature will work similarly to how the like button works currently. It’s not a dislike button, but it is close enough.

One reason Facebook chose to pursue an alternate route other than the dislike button was because of the possible consequences of adding such a button.

“Problems like bullying would arise with a dislike button,” Nguyen said. “If people see tons of dislikes on a post, they might join in on the dislike spree and make the original poster feel disliked.”

However, features similar to the dislike button have existed on other social media websites without problems. Imgur and Reddit both sport a dual-functioning button display with both an “upvote” and “downvote” option.

Imgur harnesses the power behind this tool to display the favor of a photo with Imgur users.

Nguyen says Reddit users employ the upvote, downvote feature to categorize its posts, “[Reddit users] upvote things that are relevant and downvote things that don’t belong in a certain category or subreddit.”

It seems Facebook did the smarter thing by choosing to forego the dislike button. Only time will tell, however, how popular the “Reactions” feature is with users.