Marine father surprises daughter during English class

Cathedral Catholic was full of surprises on Friday, November 16th as sophomore Marissa Hepler was visited by her father, a marine, during her first period English class. Having been deployed since July of this year, he gladly reunited with his daughter, bringing two dozen pink roses along the way.

The surprise was initially Mrs. Nancy Hepler’s idea after a number of Mr. Hepler’s flights were delayed. The actual surprise, scheduled to occur during the sophomore girls’ retreat on the previous day, was stalled after yet another flight cancellation.

Mr. Hepler stood smiling with the copious, pink bouquet in his hands, wearing his tan, badge-ornamented uniform to fit the occasion.

“I am thankful that the principal allowed us to do this for her. She deserves the best, every one of these flowers,” he said.

Mrs. Hepler, Mrs. Marissa Huffman, Ms. Margaret Mauro, and Mr. Hepler all gathered in the Kolbe Center waiting room to await further plans of action. It was decided that any photographers would be disguised as students observing the class, while Mr. and Mrs. Hepler would walk in moments later.

Mrs. Hepler, dressed in a dark business jacket and skirt, was visibly eager to surprise her daughter, as seen through her rhythmic heel tapping on the carpet floor.

“I think she is going to think she is in trouble if she sees me first,” she said. “Once she sees him [Mr. Hepler] though, the cats pretty much out of the bag.”

When ready, the crew walked towards upstairs Assisi Hall room 211, home of Mrs. Laurie Allari’s English 2H class. The photographers entered during Mrs. Allari’s instruction of an assignment, and moments later Marisa was called to the front of the room.

“Marissa,” Ms. Mauro said, “we have a visitor for you.”

Mr. Hepler entered with his colorful display, the entire class sentimentally smiling and listening to the father and daughter interact.

“Thank you for being my rock while I was gone, Marissa,” Mr. Hepler said, “for being a good friend, student, helping your brother, mother, everything you have done.”

He placed a large badge on her shirt as an additional gift for her bravery.

Marissa, on the other hand, maintained her composure but was still ecstatic at the surprise arrival of her father. She was asked a multitude of questions, including if she was embarrassed to be put on the spot.

“Slightly!” she said while laughing and talking with her father and mother.

Both Mrs. Allari and Ms. Mauro could be seen to the side, overjoyed at the sight of the occasion.

“I kept a secret successfully!” Mrs. Allari said, while Ms. Mauro treated the family to a free lunch at the food court.

Father, mother, and daughter walked out to revisit with each other, an example of the small sentimentalities that still convey very powerful emotions. They walked around campus, reunited and content to be together again.