Sea of Red adamantly supports CCHS teams

On September 7th, in CCHS’s very own Manchester stadium, the Dons lost a nail-biting game to Torrey Pines High School. Despite this loss, junior Jackson Clark and the Sea of Red club members could be seen cheering the Dons on from the sidelines.

Jackson and juniors Chris Gomez and Will Law began the club after a freshman year basketball loss to University City High School. They felt it was their own fault for not “vamping up” the team during the game, so they created the Sea of Red support club.

These freshen named their club and created a schedule to begin.

“The term ‘Sea of Red’ was coined by the University of Nebraska fan base because they would travel so well to away games and enter as a massive red sea. We were inspired by their commitment and started the club the following year. ”

They required their club to attend one game for every sport during all three seasons. Jackson and the crew initially had trouble rounding up other members, but success came suddenly after they sold 200 Sea of Red shirts for students to wear to games.

Jackson said, “The Sea of Red also came up with the ‘Saints Game-Day Shirt’ Along with ASB, we sold out of 500 very quickly and gained a huge amount of support for the Dons. ”

Graduated Seniors Patrick Downing, Mason Lopez, and Scotty Shipkowski eventually joined the club and contributed to its ever-growing success. This year, Jackson and his fellow club member joined ASB in hopes they could sell more t-shirts just like they had the past year.

However, their requests were denied.

“Our t-shirt ideas were shut down, and it was a stressful experience asking for loans from the school to help front the money. It was a frustrating time because we wanted all of our stuff ready for the Torrey Pines home opener; but once again, nothing fell into place, and ASB voted to sell the “class t-shirts” instead. ”

Because of budget constraints, ASB had to choose between class representative shirts and the Sea of Red merchandise. After discussion, they decided to choose the class shirts.

Senior ASB officers Jenny Morgan and Akasha Vigo explained this decision.

“We were only allowed one type of shirt, and at rallies we wanted the spirit of the class. We discussed it and looked at pros and cons.”

Despite the recent loss to Torrey Pines and their club letdown, the Sea of Red has remained adamant in their cheers. Jackson said that he will continue to enjoy the club and welcome new members and is looking forward to cheering against Helix High School this coming Friday.

“True fans will show up next Friday at Helix, and I am excited to see what this next year has in store,” Jackson said.

View Comments (1)

• J

Joe ClarkSep 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM

For crying out loud let the kids sell the shirts! Is it budget constraints or does the administration not want the shirts sold? I will personally front the $ for the next shirt and then any profits will be donated to charity. I still see the classic “Sea of Red” tank tops on campus and love them! Let’s get the next generation of “Sea of Red” shirts ready for the Saints game…Roll Dons!!!

Reply