The Hunger Games popular among students and faculty

The Hunger Games, a book about a post-apocalyptic  world in which young people fight for their lives in a televised battle, has not only affected the lives of many student readers, but it has also found its way inside Cathedral classrooms. The popularity of this book has gone viral, and may eventually be incorporated into the curriculum.

Mrs. Catharine Kirby, AP English teacher, has actually used The Hunger Games as a book in her classroom. She began to notice students reading the book outside of class, without being assigned to do so, and heard them talk about the book constantly.

She said, “What amazed me so much is that this is one of the first novels I have seen students actually read. The book is also appealing to both girls and boys.”

Mrs. Kirby went and saw the movie, but said she liked the book better. She explained that the book is not in the canon, a list of books that are taught to students based on their worth as literature, yet still inspires reading.

“It is not difficult like The Scarlett Letter,” she said, “and even has some political aspects integrated into the plot. The author discusses different types of governments and criticizes or supports them, but it varies.”

Mr. Jeff McMurtry, also a junior AP English teacher, has similar opinions. He noticed the hype and spent a weekend reading the book, finishing it in three and a half hours.

He said, “It was an enjoyable read.”

Mr. McMurtry further explained that he did like the book, but would not integrate it into the curriculum. He then revealed that a number of teachers discussed The Hunger Games on a blog, which was started by Sister Clausen.

As for the students, both boys and girls seem to have generally enjoyed the book.

Junior Alex Smith read all three books and saw the movie. Alex also read books like Twilight, which were similar in popularity, but enjoyed The Hunger Games more.

“It is fun to read but should not be integrated into the classroom,” he said.

Student Thomas Valentine had different opinions. He did not like the books as much as other students did.

Student Maddi Gottfredson read the book and saw the movie. She said, “I think that they should be integrated into the classroom because we do not get to read entertaining books very often. I find a lot of symbolism in that book and things that I can relate to while still being entertained.”