Interact Club to host event to support Mr. Rickling

In an effort to raise money in support of a Cathedral Catholic teacher’s recent endeavor, the Interact Club will be hosting a benefit on April 21st.  Student bands will be performing at the event, and funds will go towards sponsoring Economics and Statistics teacher Mr. Tom Rickling in his new year’s resolution to run 2012 miles in 2012.

Mr. Rickling said, “I have actually just hit the 300 mile mark.  To reach my goal, I have to average five and a half miles per day, but I’ve been running extra miles so that I can take days off.”

Mr. Rickling will be putting the money towards research for cancer and Parkinson’s disease.  Both are diseases that have afflicted his parents.

He said, “Just knowing the struggles that my parents go through everyday keeps me inspired.  Derek Thomas also inspires me all the time, and I feel that Amanda Post and Natalie Nield are truly pushing me along and helping me towards my goal..”

Since the Interact Club works to raise money for various charities, they didn’t hesitate to step in and offer their help.  Senior Fiona Tomlin said, “The idea for the benefit grew out of our desire to raise money for good causes, and we thought what better cause than Mr. Rickling’s, a member of our own community.”

The event will be hosted at the Valley View Casino in San Diego.  Food and drinks will be available to all.  Fiona said, “We are set with drinks but still in the process of contacting food vendors for donations, so if anyone knows interested groups please let us know.”

The club board is still discussing ticket prices, so they have not yet released a target goal for money to be raised.  Any school bands are welcome to perform, as well as any Indie groups.

Fiona said, “We actually will be featuring a band that has a national tour, so we are very excited.  But if anybody knows any bands that would be interested, our club would definitely appreciate their services.”

The Interact Club encourages the Cathedral Catholic community to come out on April 21st to show Mr. Rickling the support he deserves.  If anyone would like to learn more about the Interact Club’s benefit, contact Fiona at [email protected].