Cathedral readies itself for newest Drama production

It’s that time again: the Fall production from Cathedral Catholic’s Drama Department is underway and on its way to the Guadalupe Center Theater. While the production is Little Women, the amount of effort and heart going into the play is anything but little.

Little Women, a stage adaption of the classic novel by Louisa May Alcott, tells the story of four young women living in Massachusetts during the civil war. Over the course of the play, they each develop as individuals and find their way towards happiness and a greater understanding of the world around them.

Senior Matthew Thompson, who plays the role of German professor Mr. Bhaer, said, “The story takes place when women didn’t have the same opportunities as men did. It’s a story about pursuing one’s dreams and following one’s heart.”

Step one in getting ready for the production was auditions. Audition information was posted online earlier in the year, and potential performers had to sing one minute of a Broadway selection and perform a short monologue in order to try out.

Regarding why she auditioned for this season’s play, Junior Blake Buono said, “I love the Drama program, we’re like a family. Ms. Wilson is phenomenal and I really like Little Women; it seemed like it would be a great show.”

Blake received the role of Amy and described her character as being “fun and snobby.” She also said, “She gets the best costumes.”

Ms. Katie Wilson is the driving force behind CCHS’s Drama program. According to Junior Mary Brehove, Ms.Wilson’s contributions to the success of Drama are very much appreciated and acknowledged by her students.

“Ms. Wilson is so creative and she’s really into Drama,” said Senior Spencer Camarda. “As a musician, I can personally relate to that because when someone is really into something, you can definitely see their passion reflected in their work.”

Step two of the production comprises rehearsals for the cast and ensemble members, and planning and building for the Drama Tech crew. Drama Tech, headed by Senior Patrick Szczotka, is currently brainstorming set design and the props needed for the play. In the Drama Tech class, Ms. Wilson wrote down words defining the theme and feel of the production, including love, family, memories, and imagination. The students were encouraged to think about how these terms were applicable to set design for the show. Work on the Little Women set is expected to begin within the next week.

Because there is so much work to be done, more than the Drama Tech class could handle during its time during the week, signups were held for additional Drama Tech members specifically for the show.

The duties are considerable. Szczotka said, “We design and build the sets, change the sets and props during a scene change, and run sound and control the lights. We also do the actors’ hair and makeup and make sure they have the right costumes. Then the house crew arranges the seats, sets up concessions, and runs the box office. The most challenging part is designing the set because you have to incorporate all the scenes and the director’s wishes into it. However, building the set is so rewarding because when you’re done, you step back and see what you’ve just created and how amazing it turned out.”

Junior Francisco Barrios, a member of both Drama Tech and ensemble for the play, said, “I love how we all work together, and I think that’s very important. It’s not just the actors off by themselves and the crew doing separate things, it’s everyone working together to get ready for the show and making sure it all goes well.”

For those unsure about attending a Cathedral Catholic Drama production, Camarda said, “Last year I was a little bit unsure about going to see the plays because I hadn’t heard of them before. I went anyway and ended up falling in love with them. Students should come to see Little Women because it will be a great experience and they’ll get to see something new for a change.”

Little Women opens November 4th at 7 pm. Additional shows are on Saturday the 5th at 7 pm and Sunday the 6th at 1 pm.

“There are so many different, amazing types of people in Drama,” said Senior Kristen Schmidt. “People aren’t afraid to be themselves and I think that’s important.”