Mr. Tschann discusses school board responsibilities

Since it was established, Cathedral Catholic’s School Board has continued to work behind the scenes to keep the school running properly.  A maximum of 15 members are allowed to serve on the board at once, but Cathedral Catholic’s board is currently smaller with nine.

Cathedral’s President Emeritus Mr. James Tschann has been with the board for the last eight years.  He said, “The board’s primary responsibility is to support the mission of our school.  They are an advisory group.  They make sure that our policies are consistent with the mission, which includes providing a strong college preparatory program in an environment that is in keeping with our Catholic traditions and beliefs.”

Along with Mr. Tschann, other members of Cathedral’s administration currently act as ex officio members: the Principal Mr. Michael Deely, Business Manager Ms. Carolyn Sturz, and Director of Capital Campaign Mrs. Eileen Clifton-Benjamin. Ex officio members are not voting members, but they hold other responsibilities.  For instance, as Principal, Mr. Deely gives reports on academics and student life.

Mr. Tschann observed that “an effective board is one that speaks with one voice.”  A good board does not micromanage school operations; rather it establishes general governing policies.  The President serves as the liaison between the board and the school.”

The board is comprised of several committees including one for finance.  In February, this committee proposes, for the full board’s consideration, an annual budget.  The fundamental components of the budget include tuition, salaries, and projected enrollment.  After discussion and debate, the board votes on the proposal, or a modification thereof.

Mr. Tschann explained that this board “is not a representative, or constituent body.”  Rather its members are selected for a particular level of expertise that is of value to the board.  There is a nominating committee that recommends potential members who must be approved by the board and, ultimately, the Bishop.

Members can serve a maximum of two terms, which are three years each. The current Chairman of the Board is Monsignor Steve Callahan who is also the Vicar General of the Diocese.