Frosh Dimitar Gougov, 3V Movement stand against bullying

Alex Bulkin, Dimitar Gougov and Michael Bulkin

Bullying. Something that can be as subtle as unkind words and more hurtful than physical violence. Something one is a part of whether as the bully, the bullied, or a witness. Something difficult to monitor and impossible to completely stop. Although there is no clear-cut answer to this problem, Freshman Dimitar Gougov is on his way towards making a difference with his tolerance-encouraging organization, The 3V Movement.

Two friends, 8th-grader Michael Bulkin of Bernardo Heights Middle School and Sophomore Alex Bulkin of Del Norte High School, started the movement with Gougov in order “to help people – and we knew bullying was a big issue right now. We really liked the idea of peace and tolerance, so we just went from there,” said Gougov.

“I had had a sporting-goods business before that was actually worth a lot of money, so it was no problem starting something new. My dad offered me money to help get it off the ground, but it is important to me to be more independent, so I try to do those types of things on my own.”

The main message of the movement is to raise awareness of bullying in schools through the three V’s, “Vigilance, Valor, and Victory: To be aware, to stand tall in the face of adversity, and find victory in the resolution.” According to the website, The 3V Movement wants “to promote and encourage our peers to stand tall and face up to the challenges of our generation,” and their webpage offers direct support for victims of bullying.

“What sets us apart is the way we go about raising awareness,” said Gougov. “We know no one wants to go around wearing a shirt that says ‘Stop Bullying,’ so we tried to think of a cool idea and develop a cool shirt, and kids responded very well. By wearing the shirts from our movement, kids are saying that they support peace and spreading love and tolerance to everyone.”

The shirts the movement has developed, which feature graphics of hands in both a heart shape and making the symbols “3V,” are currently being sold online for $20 each.

The movement is more than just wearing 3V shirts. Gougov and the Bulkin brothers are scheduled to speak at an elementary school within the coming month, and next year, the movement will be a part of Cathedral Catholic Cares, a parent-faculty coalition that aims to “promote the physical, mental, and spiritual well-being of our student community” at CCHS.

“A couple of clubs for our movement have even started in Los Angeles as well,” said Gougov. “We are starting a club at Cathedral next year, and we’re trying to get a CCHS-sponsored shirt made that students can wear on Fridays.”

Students are enthusiastic about the message of the movement. “I believe the 3V Movement is the full message of truth and friendship for all students in any grade. With the 3V Movement we can help clear all bullying and make a more equal life for our fellow students. The movement stands for not only stopping the occasional bully but for making a happier, brighter future for our peers,” said Freshman Derek Stenman.

Freshman Daniel Mahjouri said the movement is inspirational to students and “is a sick brand in and of itself.”

“Children who have lost all hope can believe in good again” through the movement, said Sophomore Conner Ward.

“One more thing I wanted to add was our motto,” said Gougov, ” and I think it sums up everything we stand for. ‘What is victory without peace?'”

The website for the movement is http://the3vmovement.com/ .   The movement can be followed via Twitter (@the3vmovement) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/3vclothingco). The email address is the3vmovement@gmail.

View Comments (3)

• S

SamanthaApr 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I think this really stands out from the rest. It provides a new way to combat a scourge of our society. Definitely joining the club next year!

Reply
  • C

CarolineMar 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

What do they do with the money they get from selling the shirts?

Reply
    • A

adviserMar 16, 2012 at 9:46 AM

That information can be found in the pie chart at the bottom of the 3v website at the3vmovement.com .

Reply