CCHS Interact Club strives to promote community service

Cathedral Catholic’s Interact Club has rocketed off to a great start this year.  Meeting every other Thursday in Mrs. Milligan’s room, club members help to keep up on the task of finding and participating in various service activities.  This year’s club has many senior leaders helping to plan a big spring event, including Patrick Phelan, Sarah Hull, Alexis Hahn, Garrett McComb, and Jay Mullins.  The club is led by Jason Kim.

Senior Fiona Tomlin, who is in charge of Interact Club’s public relations, said, “We get a pretty good turn out each week and usually get new members each time.  Our goal is to promote community service and remind people of its value.  We present different opportunities for both direct and indirect hours for the school’s requirement.”

The club is sponsored by the Del Mar Rotary Club, which helps support the members and match various funds.  Each member of the club strives to refer as many new people as possible to the club meetings.  The club member who gets the most referrals gets the reward of a gift card of his or her choosing.

Fiona said, “We really try to encourage new members to come check us out.  We want to let as many people as we can know that service is our main purpose.”

Currently, the Interact Club is focusing most of its energy towards planning a Battle of the Bands event for April 21st.

Fiona said, “We are still taking ideas for this spring event, and we would like to get as much student input as possible.  It is still in the works.  The club always tries to spread its funds to benefit as many different charities as possible.  Name any charity, and we will help.  We like to target all demographics.”

Officer meetings are held separately from club meetings to ensure maximum efficiency.

“Someone usually always brings snacks to meetings, too,” said Fiona.  “Getting service hours through Interact Club could not be easier.”