Honor Roll students give advice on academic success

Matthew Bailey, Staff Writer

Many students at CCHS find it hard to achieve honor roll as a number of difficulties can inhibit students from maintaining straight A’s. Why do these problems develop and increase over time, and how do students overcome them?

The most important factor in achieving honor roll status is remembering to stay on track while also changing the path taken accordingly. Although working extra hard and creating good study habits may seem like the only answer to achieving good grades, they do not completely lessen the difficulty of academic issues. Students need to not only find time to study and complete homework, but they need to maintain and space out their time as well.

Sophomore Dylan Gallego explained how he balances time for sports and activities along with spare time for studying. “I usually have to study right when I get home due to track practice. I notice that even if I come home three hours after school ends, I can still get the most appropriate amount of studying in,” said Dylan.

Students also need to personalize their own schedule. This can be done by taking difficult classes during summer break in order to create spaces for custom electives and classes during the school year. Senior Ashley Tran described how she uses class time to her advantage. “This year I am taking study hall so I can complete my homework at school. Taking study hall has lowered my stress level and has given me more free time. It has also given me time to fill out my college applications,” said Ashley.

In order to achieve and maintain honor roll status, there are a few basic elements that should be taken into account. Self-motivation and motivation from others serves as a great way to gain encouragement. Encouragement is much needed when completing homework and taking tests and quizzes.

Motivation also helps when striving to achieve good grades. Students need to continuously push themselves to new levels academically. Once students learn to push themselves in education, they can apply their perseverance to other areas of their lives.

One of the most crucial qualities to remember in order to excel in school is to complete homework correctly and on time. Completing homework just to get it done is not acceptable, and following this method increases the chance of failure when taking tests and quizzes.

Junior Adam Stocker told of how homework is exceptionally important in terms of grades. “Students need to complete their homework all the time. It’s funny how much that matters; by doing homework, students learn the material better and they get good grades,” said Adam.

Nonetheless, while completing homework, students should always remember to relax. Stressing out is half the problem, so relaxing is key to overcoming stress. Upon achieving honor roll status, students should remember to push themselves as there is always room for effort no matter the situation. However, students should also keep in mind to carry out their responsibilities all the time.

When asked what advice he would give to struggling students, sophomore Anthony Balsano said,”The most important thing to do is to study and get your homework done. If you can’t get honor roll during the first semester then don’t stress out. Try again harder the second semester. Striving to get honor roll is very important, and in the end colleges will see that you worked hard.”

Overall, honor roll is an important addition academically. It is very crucial that students try their hardest during high school even if they don’t achieve honor roll. Colleges will look favorably upon good grades.

Junior Mitchell Annicchiarico explained how change is a continual process that is key to achieving honor roll and achieving success in general. “Change your life in a single day, and make it today. It doesn’t need to be a big change. It may even be a decision to do homework for one class that you usually wouldn’t do homework for. Whatever change you make can be built from and expanded to change in other parts of your academic life as well,” said Mitchell.