Led by new coach, girls basketball begins season

Led by Coach Sean Doyle, Cathedral’s girls’ varsity basketball team has a solid record of eight wins and four losses.  The team has only had two league games so far this season, but will be facing its toughest competition on January 10th against Mission Bay.

Senior and team captain Emily Kearney said, “We have been working hard to get ready for league these past several weeks.  In December, we competed in and won first place in the Wolverine Invitational.”

Monday through Friday, the team practices after school doing various running drills, working on their press, and scrimmaging.  Emily said, “We are hoping to start watching some film in the near future.”

The many new additions to this year’s varsity team, including a new head coach, has led the eleven girls to develop a strong bond.  Junior Haley Syroka said, “We all work really well together.”

With the change in coaching this year, the girls felt it was important to come together as a team.

Senior and team captain Sarah McDonald said, “After two straight years of transition, I think we finally got the right fit as a coach with Mr. Doyle.  He pushes us everyday to be better players and to become the best we can.  He has a fierce attitude and will never accept anything less than our top play.”

One of the new additions to the team, senior Kat (Katniss) Redoglia said, “Both Coach Doyle and assistant Coach Kilroy are precious, absolutely precious.  Coach Doyle has an extremely positive attitude that motivates us, and Coach Kilroy keeps us in line.”

Coach Doyle is also the longtime coach of Cathedral’s varsity football team.  Sarah said, “He is a great coach whether it’s football or basketball.  All I know is that our program is lucky to have him, and he is going to take us all the way.”

The team has set many goals for the season, including winning league and CIF and making a run at State.  Kat said, “Before each game, we gather in a circle and pray, and then each of us says what our goals for the next hour are.  It is actually quite inspiring and really helps us to focus.”

With their season well underway, the athletes are as close as ever with several girls stepping up as leaders.

Junior Kori Griswold said, “We have a very strong team this year, and we are all really close.  And we are lucky to have all of the seniors who are great role models to the rest of us.”