Dons shutout Patrick Henry, lose starter in league opener

After seven days of rest during their bye week coming off an upset of Eastlake, the Dons started 2011 league play the right way with a 32-0 shutout of the Patrick Henry Patriots. The Dons defense manhandled the offense from Patrick Henry and gave the offense chances to put the points on the board to win the team’s first league game of the season. The game also doubled as the annual Cathedral Hall of Fame Game, so the Dons sported their throwback USDHS “U” helmets.
The Dons started off the game a bit shaky, committing a false start penalty on the very first play of the game. Later in the same drive, junior quarterback Garrett Bogart looked for senior receiver Brian Heinz deep down the field; the pass was off and should have been picked by the Patriot defender. The Dons punted the ball away on their first possession.
The Dons’ defense started a great night out hot, however, and forced a three and out to give the ball right back to their offense, which did not let the opportunity get away from them. The Dons scored on an 18 yard run from junior running back Tony Johnson who set himself up with a couple of beautiful runs to bring the Dons into the red zone before making it 7-0 Dons.
On the Dons’ next drive, Garrett Bogart found Brian Heinz in stride on a redemption throw for a 59 yard touchdown to make it 14-0 Dons. For an offense that put up 32 points, their quarterback Bogart did not have a great game. Bogart was only 3 of 13 for 93 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.
The Dons’ defense came up big once again on the Patriots’ next possession when they forced the Patriots to punt from inside their own end zone. Patrick Henry made the decision to give themselves some better field position by taking an intentional safety by snapping the ball through the end zone to make it 16-0 Dons.
The better field position did not help the Patrick Henry defense, however, as Tony Johnson still found the end zone on the drive following the safety. Johnson pounded through several Patriot defenders to find the end zone from eight yards out to make it 23-0 Dons.
On the Dons’ next possession, the offense was again marching down the field. After a first down run, Tony Johnson could not get off of the field. After a few minutes on the field, Johnson, in obvious pain, was helped off the field by two trainers. Johnson spent the rest of the half on the sideline on the training table being looked at by trainers. The Dons did not reach the end zone on that possession, as Bogart threw an interception on the 11 yard line.
The Dons’ defense again made the big play, forcing the fumble on the 11 yard line, putting the ball right back in the hands of their offense. It took only one play for the Dons to score this time in the form of an 11 yard TD run from senior running back Riley Sanchez taking the snap for the injured Johnson to make it 30-0 Dons.
At the start of halftime, Johnson was carted off the field and into the locker rooms. He did not return to the field for the rest of the game.
The Dons’ came out of halftime hot with an interception from senior defensive back Patrick Downing on the Patriots’ very first play of the half. The offense did not capitalize, however, and were forced to punt it away.
The only score of the second half came from a safety that was forced by the Dons’ defense to make it a 32-0 game.
This was the Patriots’ first shutout loss of the year and it moved them to an overall record of 3-3 and 0-1 in league play. The Dons improved to 5-1 and 1-0 in league play, but it was not all good news for the Dons. Tony Johnson could very possibly be done for the remainder of the year. “It looks like Tony’s going to be out for the season,” said senior Kale Evans following the win. “They are saying a tear in the knee, possibly the ACL.”
Johnson had 139 yards and 2 touchdowns in just one half against the Patriots; he has been the Dons’ lead running back all year long. Kale thinks the offense will be able to adjust if Tony is indeed done for the year. “I thought the offense did okay without any practice without [Tony], but we’ll make adjustments and get the offense going again.”
The Dons will continue league play next week at home against Scripps Ranch which is 2-4 and coming off a 30-7 win over Lincoln High School.