Equestrian team ends successful season

Cathedral Catholic’s equestrian team of sixteen girls, led by coach and athletic director Mr. David Smola, finished with a strong season this year.

The team competed from October through January at the Orange County Interscholastic Equestrian League (OCIEL), which promotes the sport of equestrian as an “Interscholastic Team Activity.”  Twice a month, on Saturdays and Sundays, the girls would travel to Orange County for showcases.  At these showcases, the girls would compete in various jumps and obstacle courses with their horses.

Senior captain Linne Beason said, “There is definitely a team between the person and horse.”

Points are awarded at each show for the best times and best performances of the athletes depending on the different events.  The points given at each show are then accumulated at the end of the season, and the total sum of points then determines the final standings for the athletes and teams.  The final standings are to be released soon but Linne said, “We felt very accomplished at the end of our season and really came together as a team.”

Because the girls compete individually in equestrian, CCHS’s team feels blessed to have such a strong team component.  “We help each other out and really have a great time being together as a team,” said the captain.  The girls consistently cheered one another on at competitions and helped each other out at practices throughout the season.

The other senior captain, Olivia Allison, was recognized as reserve champion, or runner-up, for two shows this season, and freshman Meggie Bresee was also rewarded as a reserve champion.

The team is confident and excited for the fall and winter 2011 season. Only five girls will be graduating at the end of this year, so the team will have a majority of returning athletes.

As for the immediate future, the team is patiently but eagerly awaiting the final results for the season.  Linne said, “…But regardless of how our team and individual members placed, in the end, we had a good time and did well.”