Profile: CCHS Alum, Áine McLean

Áine McLean
My mom with me and my siblings, Avery and Owen.

My mom, Áine McLean, graduated from Uni in 1992. She then made the choice that I am going to be forever thankful for, sending me and my siblings to CCHS. My sister, Avery, graduated in 2023, and my brother and I will graduate in 2026. Although she is obviously not in high school anymore, the community says, once a Don, always a Don! For this profile, I am going to share some insight from a Dons Alumni.

My mom was an amazing athlete in high school, and still is. She mentions, “I competed in soccer, softball, and sailing through my years at Uni. Playing soccer was super fun and memorable, I was coached by the legendary Butch Lee. But sailing was always what stuck with me,” she says. My mom still sails today, now working as the Director at Mission Bay Yacht Club, and she runs an unbelievably successful youth program. I coach the youth sailing program from time to time there too, and her work is not going unnoticed. Because of her time sailing for the team at Uni throughout college and after, my siblings and I all grew up sailing as well. We now sail for the CCHS Sailing team, and I am forever thankful that she inspired me to follow in her footsteps.

When asked about the current differences and similarities between CCHS and Uni, she says, “Everything just seems bigger and newer, but besides that, it has the same vibes and traditions.” El Cid is a great example of these ongoing traditions. The Dons Press has been around forever, and earlier this year, we even had a chance to look at the old printed versions of the articles. It was super interesting to see things that have both changed and stayed the same. I am super honored to be writing for a program that demonstrates the Dons community and tradition.

My mom always shares about her high school experiences with me, “My favorite part of being a Don was the friendships made. I still talk to some of my friends from high school today!” she says. My mom is especially close with one of her high school friends, and her child now sails in my moms junior program! This especially represents the Dons spirit of community. The friends made during her time as a Don have stuck, giving a new perspective to the saying, once a Don, always a Don!