Setting the Standard

Celebrating 8 Senior Volleyball Players
Nikole Egan
Senior Volleyball stars, Kira Miles, Tiana Owens, Amanda Saeger, Ayva Moi, Jenna Hanes, Dakota Conway, Niki Egan and Sinclair McComic reminiscing on their past years apart of the Dons program through senior night.

Last Tuesday, these eight seniors celebrated the last four years they have given to the CCHS volleyball program. After four years, their senior night was a bittersweet experience. It wasn’t about the recognition but mostly about reminiscing on the memories and friendships that the Dons program has given them.

When talking with volleyball star, Tiana Owens, Colgate University commit, she explains how special senior night was to her and how it made her “look back on her career starting freshman year and how much she’s going to miss this team.”

The biggest thing Tiana is taking away from the program is the lifelong friendships that she appreciated through the senior night celebrations. Her underclassmen teammates made her feel “super special” by giving her gift baskets and making her posters. 

This special night was something the girls had been looking forward to for years. University of Michigan commit Jenna Hanes says, “I have been to many of my friend’s senior nights and have been looking forward to my own. It made me feel very special to be recognized with all of my best friends.”

Junior Mae Kordas, who has been on the team with the seniors for the past two years, says, “The seniors have taught me how to be a leader. After a great 2022 season with ten seniors, these seniors really had to step up. It was a very successful season the year before, and we knew the seniors would have a big role to fill this year. They push the underclassmen to work hard and always try to keep the team accountable and in check.”

As these eight seniors graduate, many underclassmen will have to step up next year for the Lady Dons. Mae, who will be a senior next year, is a significant factor for this team and will fulfill her role as a senior leader for the upcoming season.  

Overall, senior night was a very special celebration for all eight seniors and highlighted all their accomplishments from the past years. With over half of the team graduating, the underclassmen will definitely need to step up as leaders and fill the roles of being a senior. These seniors’ leadership, energy, and resilience will be missed, but the underclassmen are hungry for the upcoming season.