Aevidum supports students struggling with depression or suicide

Student support groups here on campus are a great source of comfort to students in need. Along with Sturdy Wings and Families in Transition, Aevidum is yet another source of help for students. Aevidum is a support group for students having trouble with depression or suicide. Whether students are experiencing personal thoughts about depression or suicide or have family members or friends who are going through the aforementioned, Aevidum is available for anyone who needs it.

Starting Aevidum at Cathedral Catholic was a significant and personal task to club leaders juniors Michael Fee, Karly Burford, Flora Cabello, and Monica Martinez. Each leader had a personal experience with depression or suicide and wanted to extend a helping hand to students who may have been going through similar situations.

“Depression is really common and so ‘under the radar.’ It’s something that people need to talk about,” said Monica. “If people keep it bottled up inside, it does more damage than good.”

Monica’s eagerness to have Aevidum at Cathedral Catholic came from her experience with depression and suicide. “A friend of mine almost committed suicide about a year ago, and it was a really scary experience,” she said. “I wanted to do something about it because it really impacted me.”

“I did more research about depression and suicide because I wanted to learn more about it. I saw an interview about a girl who started the same club at her school on the east coast,” Monica said. After she had seen the positive effects that an Aevidum support group could have on a school, Monica wanted to bring it to CCHS.

Monica said the hardest part about starting Aevidum was, “getting it approved because it’s such a delicate topic… When people hear depression or suicide, they think dark and scary, but what people don’t know is that depression is a treatable illness.” Though it took months to get approved, the Aevidum support group finally became a part of Cathedral Catholic and has helped many students so far.

“At the club meetings we usually open discuss where everyone can let off what’s on their chest,” said Monica.

“Aevidum truly benefits the school because outside of that room we’re all different; We have different groups and beliefs, but as soon as we get together, we’re a family, and it’s amazing what some of the people are able to share,” said Michael.

Monica has high hopes for Aevidum in the future. “We expect everyone to get closer and more comfortable sharing their stories,” she said.

All students are welcome to join Aevidum and support is greatly encouraged. “We hope for the entire school to know what Aevidum is and to show some support,” said Monica.

The next meeting will be Wednesday, April 17th, in Cabrini 108.