Fellow Don guitarist now part of own band, The Snykes

Ana Paula Ramirez, Staff Writer

At the age of seventeen, high school senior Patrick Collins has performed at more venues than most aspiring artists his age. He is a practicing musician and is currently the guitarist/singer of the band The Snykes. The other members of the band are Austin Arthur and Chris Olson (who don’t attend Cathedral).

Patrick’s band name is anything but normal and he definitely had a different way of choosing it. “I don’t know why we named it that, it just sounded funny.” Not only does he love fun crowds, but he really looks forward to their practices on Mondays and the weekends at his band member Austin Arthur’s house.

Patrick’s passion started when he was a young boy. “My older brother started playing guitar and I got jealous so I started stealing it and learning how to play,” he said. Since he was a child Patrick has not been able to put his guitar down. This varies from playing the guitar at school liturgies, to jamming with his friends after school, to performing at well-known locations. Patrick along with his band has played at The House of Blues and SOMA.

Patrick also has regularly attended Coachella (the most prestigious music festival in America) since he was a little boy, so he has been exposed to diverse music since a very young age. The Snykes consider their genre of music garage rock with influences of punk and blues. Patrick is huge fan of “Led Zeppelin, The Black Keys, The Kinks, Nirvana and a lot of the blues from the 20s,” he said. This translates into their music, but with a more unique twist.

Patrick along with his band have one genuine purpose with their music. “We just wanna get our music heard and play it for as many people as possible,” he said.

Looks like their wish is definitely coming true because The Snykes have reached more than 800 likes on Facebook and is becoming well known on social media. This newly formed high-energy punk rock band is becoming very successful and one of our very own Dons is a part of it.

Go support Patrick Collins and The Snykes on December 5th at 7:00pm at SOMA and see the band for yourselves.

Follow them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thesnykes/timeline

Watch them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6woHI8x5U&app=desktop