Inspired by famous dad, Ambha Love like most teenagers

Mike and Ambha Love
Mike and Ambha Love

Ambha Love is not like any other freshman girl at Cathedral Catholic. This young lady is the daughter of Mike Love, the co-lead singer of the Beach Boys.  Although Ambha is clearly connected with her father’s identity, she wants to make her own name at Cathedral. Walking into the interview, her bright smile and spunky walk made her easy to spot in the middle of the crowded library. As she toyed with bracelets stacked up her arm, Ambha easily opened up about her life and her feelings on even some touchy subjects.

As a co-lead singer, Mike Love played a big role with the Beach Boys. He also wrote many of the big hit songs for the band such as, “The Warmth of the Sun” and “Kokomo” which was nominated for a Grammy Award and a Golden Globe Award in 1988.

Mike Love’s accomplishments have only inspired Ambha to follow in his footsteps by pursuing her dreams as a singer. “I was inspired just by watching him on stage doing his own thing. I have a really strong relationship with him, and part of that comes from the respect I have for what he does,” said Ambha.

Although she has many dreams, Ambha wants to do well in school. “Right now, I have to focus on my school work, but I really want to join glee,” says Ambha. Even with this special family name, Ambha is like any other girl at Cathedral trying to balance school, extra curricular activities, and a social life.

With Ambha’s family status, life must be different and in some ways challenging. “It’s a weird balance, on one hand life is good because I get to experience things that other people don’t, like traveling everywhere, but it is also difficult because I can’t do everything a normal kid can. I have even received things like death threats.” According to Ambha, after the death threat, she had to have security guards following her around for the next few months to ensure her safety.

“There is more to me than just a celebrity dad. I am just like most people here at Cathedral. I am a 14 year old girl who likes to sing, hang out with friends, and just be a normal teenager,” said Ambha.

One of the hardest parts about her dad’s fame is she can never really tell who wants to be her friend for her, or who’s just using her to meet her dad. “Despite everything I have been through, I love my dad, and I am proud of his accomplishments. I wouldn’t change any part of my life,” said Ambha.

Although there is a downside to her dad’s fame, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. She has traveled to any imaginable location – from the Bahamas to Spain, from Ireland to Africa – and has met many famous people.

Ambha is most looking forward to an in-studio recording that will determine if Jay – Z will produce her. And she even got the opportunity to sing with 16-time Grammy Award winner, Beyonce Knowles.

Ambha is so grateful for all the things she has because of the advantages she has. “I live in a great home, have a good education, I get to go onstage with my dad, and I meet a lot of people.”

Eventually she plans on joining glee, and the drama club at our school. So she is making her small dreams come true first.  Love just wants to be treated like a normal freshman girl. “I like Cathedral a lot because it’s refreshing to be in a big school that has a lot of diversity, and it offers so many opportunities. I’ve always been in a really tiny school. and coming here feels a lot better.”