“Anyone But You” Revives the Dying Out Species Of Rom Coms

“Anyone But You” reviving the dying genre of rom coms

Have you noticed that for the past decade, there have been fewer and fewer romantic comedies? In a way, it appeared to be dying out, but about 5 years ago in 2018, Claire Scranton and Katie Silberman’s summer sensation “Set It Up,” which starred Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch, seemingly revived the genre. Until December 22nd of 2023, “Anyone But You,” from director Will Gluck and co-writer Ilana Wolpert, possesses the allure, captivating romance, and, notably, the star chemistry that has been conspicuously absent in recent additions to the genre.

In a modern take on Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing,” Powell takes on the role of Ben, a finance professional concealing deep emotional scars with a carefree attitude. He crosses paths with Bea (Sydney Sweeney), a law student uncertain about her career path. The two experience an immediate spark, spending a day and night engaged in passionate conversations, enjoying grilled cheese, and opening up in ways they seldom do with others. The next morning, a euphoric yet hesitant Bea, who woke up on Ben’s couch, panics and departs without a word. Realizing her mistakes almost instantly, she returns to express her true feelings, only to overhear a wounded Ben confide in his best friend Pete (GaTa) that she was just another meaningless one-night stand. 

Several months later, Ben and Bea’s paths intertwine once again, this time due to the budding romance between Pete’s sister Claudia (Alexandra Shipp) and Bea’s sister Halle (Hadley Robinson). Another encounter occurs about a year later when both are invited to a destination wedding in Australia. The bickering pair inadvertently disrupt the proceedings, prompting the wedding party to devise a plan to bring them together for the scheme, BEn and Bea aim to thwart Bea’s parent’s attempts to reunite her with childhood sweetheart Jonathan (Darren Barnet) and to stir jealousy in Ben’s ex, Margaret (Charlee Fraser). However, as the saying goes about well-laid plans, things take an unexpected turn, and eventually, true love triumphs. 

Anyone But You” is a breath of fresh air for those craving a revitalized romantic comedy experience. It’s a witness to the enduring power of love, wrapped in a modern and entertaining package. Don’t miss the chance to witness the revival of the genre – and journey where true love prevails against all odds. Get ready for a rollercoaster of emotions that will leave you with a smile on your face and a renewed appreciation for magic or romantic storytelling.