Border situation impacts education, economy

Olivia Palombo, Assistant Multimedia Editor

Central American migrants began arriving just after the midterm elections on Nov. 6, 2018. Upon arrival, more than 5,800 U.S. military troops arrived at the San Ysidro port of entry to defend the U.S. southern border. Migrant caravan members also have been arrested for public intoxication, disturbing the peace, and violence. However, these people make up less than one percent of the group, according to news reports. The Honduran migrants currently seeking asylum are waiting at the Benito Juarez sports complex in Tijuana, Mexico, and non-governmental organizations are hosting small camps for families who need extra help. Mexico previously offered migrants asylum, but for many people living in the U.S. is still the goal. However, many migrants who originally made the long trip have now returned home due to the asylum process being stalled. The city of Tijuana was unprepared for the arrival of the caravan, especially dealing with sanitation problems. Although the media focuses on the migrants’ impact on Tijuana, local parochial school students like Saint Augustine High School student Sebastian Echegaray ’19 also have faced adversity when crossing the border on weekends or after school. Some travelers feel a sense of uncertainty when crossing the border due to fear of a border shutdown, thus creating economic turmoil for the border town store owners. Horacio Gil, father of CCHS student Daniela Gil ‘21 and business owner of Global Auto Tires, a tire dispensary in Tijuana and Mexicali, also agrees the city of Tijuana was unprepared, and he now experiences his own difficulties when crossing the border for business. Many migrants still await asylum in the U.S., causing a growing theme of “hurry up and wait” among people waiting to be accepted into the U.S.