CCHS sophomore Mia Thomas takes on the Catalina Channel tomorrow

Mia+Thomas%2C+pictured+with+her+relay+team%2C+is+standing+third+to+the+left.+

Mia Thomas, pictured with her relay team, is standing third to the left.

Arcelita Martin, Staff Writer

Hoping to become one of the few people to swim across the Catalina Channel, Cathedral Catholic High School sophomore Mia Thomas will compete in a relay swim race with seven other swimmers tomorrow, Saturday, September 12.

Anticipating a 20-21-mile swim from the shores of Catalina Island to Palos Verdes, Thomas is eager to start her relay swim.

“I’m just looking forward to a fun time, getting to hangout with the girls in the water and on the boat,” Thomas said.

Thomas’ mother swam the Catalina Channel Solo in 2013, and her grandmother competed in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.

“My mom’s side has a line of swimmers,” Thomas said. “Having that influence from the start [is what] put me in the water.”

Thomas is one of seven members on the “Ocean’s Seven” relay swim team. Her team is competing to raise money for Fresh Start Surgical Gifts, a nonprofit organization that provides surgeries for poor children with birth defects. Previously, in their search to pick a cause for their swim, the team was “looking for a local charity that did surgeries for kids,” Thomas said.

Preparing for the swim, Thomas keeps busy with her practice schedule at North Coast Aquatics. She practices every day for two to three hours during the peak of the swimming season.

“Mia is currently one of [the] growing leaders on our team. She comes in with a great attitude, willing to learn everyday and help others get better,” said Michael Galindo, Thomas’ coach at North Coast Aquatics.

The team will plunge into the water of Catalina Island’s shore at midnight on September 12, arriving in Palos Verdes seven to eight hours later. Each swimmer will compete for an hour at a time, “passing the baton” to their teammates as they finish.

Swimming at dusk is ideal because of calmer waters, meaning that there is less activity in the ocean at dusk than there is during the daytime. Thomas is comfortable in the water, despite the creatures beneath the surface.

Boats will guide each swimmer in the right direction during their relay slot, but it is up to the swimmer to set their speed. This Don is prepared to take on the channel at Catalina tomorrow.