Honoring veterans

The+United+States+Air+Force+Academy+is+home+to+the+future+officers+in+the+U.S+Air+Force.+

Photo by Jared Schenk

The United States Air Force Academy is home to the future officers in the U.S Air Force.

Jared Schenk, Copy Editor

San Diego, a city that’s home to three branches of the U.S. Military, Navy, Coast Guard, and Marines, has special special significance in regards to Veterans Day. A day that will be turning 100 years old, Veterans Day shines a light on those who have put their lives forward so that the land of the free could be safe.

In result of San Diego being home to three military branches, many students of Cathedral Catholic High School are sons, daughters, and grandchildren of military personnel. 

“To me, [Veterans Day] is honoring and celebrating the lives of people who have served in the military,” said CCHS student Breck Blandford ‘22, the daughter of U.S. Marine Mr. Jerry Blandford.

Many San Diegans, wanting to honor those who have served, enjoy visiting Mt. Soledad to put flowers on the memorials on Veterans Day. 

“[Veterans Day] is a chance for all Americans to pause in their daily lives and recognize that we, as uniformed military fighters, create the very peace and freedoms that Americans so effortlessly enjoy,” said retired Lt. Col. U.S Marine Corps Mr. Matt Seipt, the father of CCHS student Mitch Seipt ‘20.

[Veterans Day] is a chance for all Americans to pause in their daily lives and recognize that we, as uniformed military fighters, create the very peace and freedoms that Americans so effortlessly enjoy.

— retired Lt. Col. U.S Marine Corps Mr. Matt Seipt

As of 2018, there are 18.2 million living veterans who have served in one world war. 

CCHS student and United States Air Force Academy football commit Holden Brosnan ‘20 expresses that veterans have an impact on others joining the military.

“Both my grandfathers served and I could never thank them enough,” Brosnan said.“I just know how important this country is to us all, and I’ll do anything to protect it and the people I love so much.

“Veterans Day has more than an immense impact on me and means so much.”

Nov. 11, 1919 was the first Armistice Day, a year after the conclusion of World War I. Many countries recognized Armistice Day to honor those who served in WWI. 

President Woodrow Wilson first recognized Nov. 11 as the commemoration of Armistice Day in 1919, a year after the end of the WWI. Nineteen years later, on May 13, 1938, an act was passed that recognized Armistice Day as a federal holiday. 

In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower and the 83rd U.S. Congress amended the 1938 act, which changed the word “Armistice” to “Veterans”. This change made Veterans Day a day to honor all veterans, not just those who served in WWI. 

Later on in 1968, congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, which put forth three-day weekends for federal employees, this act included Washington’s Birthday, Veterans Day, Memorial Day, and Columbus Day. This act also moved Veterans Day to the fourth Monday of October. A couple years later, President Gerald Ford returner Veterans Day to its original day, Nov. 11. 

In recognition of Veterans Day, the CCHS National English Honor Society will be partnering this week with various clubs in order to write letters thanking and recognizing local veterans for their work and sacrifice.