Theme of mercy underscores peace and justice liturgy

Photo by Cole Parsons

Campus Ministers Ela Chavez ’17, Sofia Palomas ’17, Natalie Rotherham ’17, Chad Dea ’17, and Katie Van Deventer ’17 (pictured from left to right) display flags on the railings of the Claver Center.

Julia Way, News Editor

Pope Francis has named 2016 the “Year of Mercy”, and the Cathedral Catholic High School community echoed his prayers in the Special Intentions of yesterday’s Peace and Justice Liturgy.

“That sincere dialogue among men and women of different faiths may produce the fruits of peace and justice,” Pope Francis said in a video published by The Pope Video. “I have confidence in your prayers.”

Most students remember the yearly Peace and Justice Liturgy for the colorful procession and display of the world’s flags around the Claver Center, but Campus Ministry Liturgy leaders hope students walked away from mass with a greater sense of the role mercy plays in the crusade for peace and justice in the world.

“As we desire peace and justice for ourselves, we should desire to give it to others,” Fr. Patrick Wainwright, one of the priests who presided over the mass, said.

The theme of mercy underscored the liturgy, permeating into the special intentions and Fr. Michael White’s homily. Fr. White spoke about what it means to be merciful, sharing the stories of three witnesses to mercy, peace and justice. Mercy, as he explained and defined for CCHS students, “is stepping into the chaos of another person’s life.”

Campus ministers felt strongly about the homily, and they hope their peers find solace and hope in the message.

“Everyone has their own struggles that we don’t know about, and this Mass just reminded us that we need to strive to bring them happiness,” Campus Minister Molly Brennan ‘17 said.

Pope Francis has made spreading the message of mercy the focus of this liturgical year, coming to fruition in the commissioning of the Missionaries of Mercy, a distinguished group of priests who will work within assigned countries to spread the message and to emphasize the importance of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Campus ministry leaders on campus encourage students to embrace the power of mercy and to bring it into their lives.

“We want students to feel empowered to be their own missionaries of mercy, to offer forgiveness, and to be a witness of God’s peace and justice in the world,” Director of Liturgy Mrs. Sandy Blackstone-Gardner said.