Mr. Chris Greene to join Dons family as Dean of Students

Mr. Chris Greene visited Toledo, Spain.

Mr. Chris Greene visited Toledo, Spain.

Julia Way, Staff Writer

As Cathedral bids farewell to several faculty members, at the end of this school year, a new wave of educators and administrators are poised to fill their positions come August. Current Dean of Students Mrs. Marlena Conroy has decided to take the position of Director of Curriculum at Notre Dame Academy, a change that left many at Cathedral wondering who might fill her shoes. Mr. Chris Greene, current Assistant Principal at Escondido High School, has been hired as the new Dean of Students, and he hopes to foster a positive school environment to ensure the greatest success for Cathedral students.

Mr. Greene acknowledges that his department will sometimes be seen as “the bad guys,” but he wants students to know that he believes consequences for misconduct must be doled out to protect the integrity and pride of what it means to be a Don. Mr. Greene, like Mrs. Conroy, will focus on the supervision of school activities, the growth of the student body, and student discipline. Though Dean of Students is his official job title, Mr. Greene views his future position at Cathedral as much more.

“Although this is a job, I see it as more of a ministry for me. I get to follow my passion of working with kids, but now I even get to do it through the lens of my God and Savior,” said Mr. Greene.

His position at Cathedral will be Mr. Greene’s first experience as a faculty member at a private school, having taught World History and AP Comparative Government at El Camino High School and AP European History at Carlsbad High School. Mr. Greene cites the ability to freely discuss spirituality and to pray with students and staff as the biggest difference between a Catholic school and public schools, where such expressions of faith meant risking his career.

Mr. Greene said, “I wasn’t able to openly discuss it [my faith] with colleagues or students, unless it was an FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) meeting or in the coaches’ Bible study I was a part of”.

Athletics also seem to play a big part in Mr. Greene’s professional life. At El Camino HS, he coached baseball, softball, girls’ golf, surf, and led the Wildcats to two CIF football championships. Mr. Greene also holds the Carlsbad HS record for “Most Wins by Head Coach” for his work as the 2006-2012 Head Coach for the Lancers’ baseball team.

Prior to recent meetings, Mr. Greene’s only other interactions with Cathedral students had been during his time as a coach or athletic director when Carlsbad and Cathedral competed. Mr. Greene recalls that Cathedral students and athletes always “carried themselves with grace”, and he found each student he met “outgoing and kind.” Since his appointment as the future Dean of Students, Mr. Greene has made brief visits to Cathedral where the community as a whole has left a great impression.

“Every student, security guard, receptionist, and teacher I have met or spoken to [at Cathedral] has been incredibly kind and helpful. Every time I step on this campus, I feel a positive vibe, and that is the truth!”

As the Assistant Principal at Escondido HS, Mr. Greene’s duties not only encompassed student discipline, but also evaluation of teaching staff. While Mr. Greene will not be assessing the Cathedral faculty, he does hope for them to assist him in the furthering of student success.

“I am looking to help my colleagues foster the building of young men and women who posses tremendous character…not just in the classroom or on the athletic field, but in everything they do!”

Mr. Greene is very excited to join the Cathedral community next school year and sees Cathedral as his last stop in his career as an educator.

He said, “…there is no other place on this Earth better than San Diego County, and I plan on staying here until I breathe my last breath, and hopefully that would be as an honorary ‘Don’.”