Thirty-one Cathedral students set to embark on Nicaragua service trip

Jackie Heitman, Staff Writer

Some students see Easter break as a time for relaxation and exciting vacations, but it can also be an opportunity to commit time to serving those less fortunate. Thirty-one students at Cathedral have decided to do just that by travelling to Nicaragua.

The students are departing San Diego on Saturday, April 4th for Chinandega, a northwest area of Nicaragua, and will return Sunday, April 12th. They will be serving through an organization called Amigos for Christ, a Christ-centered, faith-filled, nonprofit organization which believes its work furthers the kingdom of God.

The students will be staying in a large building called the “Amigos Compound” with dorm-like rooms. There are plenty of fans in the building and clean water for showers and drinking and each day the students will be transported to where they will be serving that day. The goal of Amigos for Christ is to make students feel as comfortable as possible while still giving them a glimpse of the Nicaraguan life.

Amigos for Christ is a nonprofit organization with work that is centered on Christ and furthers the kingdom of God.

The dining room is said to be “the students’ favorite place,” according to Amigos for Christ. It requires hard work for Mrs. Patricia and her kitchen crew to prepare breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday. Breakfast usually consists of fruit, bread, cereal, and juice, lunch consists of PB&J sandwiches, and dinner is usually rice, beans, and meat. After the students eat, they’re ready to take on the work day to come.

Their service will be aimed at making clean water available for the Chinandega community because skin disease, diarrhea, and parasites, all which result from dirty water, are the leading causes of death in the country. Clean water can help decrease these diseases and make a dramatic difference.

“I’m excited to help out the people in Nicaragua while growing closer with the CCHS community,” junior Eddy Azia said. “Even though it’s going to be hard work, I think the outcome will be beneficial for the Nicaraguans and the students on the trip.”

There are many jobs Amigos for Christ suggests the students help out with. Some include grabbing a shovel and digging hand and hand with the Nicaraguans, drilling wells and laying pipes, or helping provide clean water for showers and toilets.

As the trip approaches, students at Cathedral are ready and excited for helping those in Nicaragua. Junior Courtney Smith said, “I’m most excited for the overall experience and joy helping the people will bring. Learning about the culture and lifestyle there will also shine a new light on everything we have and take for granted here.”

Overall, this is the first mission trip for many of the Cathedral students, and many are excited to see how the trip will change them. Sophomore Lauren Mammini said, “It’s going to be a really cool experience overall. I believe it will give me a deeper understanding of the poverty in our world and make me have more respect for those less fortunate.”

If there are any questions regarding the trip with Cathedral, contact the trip leader, Ms. Alison Purpera at [email protected].

For more information about joining a trip with Amigos for Christ, read here: http://amigosforchrist.org