Junior Michael Munro’s band Triceratropical draws from life experiences

Junior Michael Munros band Triceratropical draws from life experiences

Jackie Heitman, Staff Writer

There are several student bands surrounding the Dons’ music scene, but one CCHS junior, Michael Munro, hopes his band Triceratropical stands out above the others. Michael is the only member of the band that goes to Cathedral Catholic, and he has been harboring his musical talent since he was four.

Triceratropical started when three of the other band members, drummer Matt Gilbert, lead singer and guitarist Cameron Zirbel, and bass player Sebastian Urrea, formed the band for fun and out of musical interest. Michael joined the band about six months later as a guitarist and keyboard player, and ever since freshman year, the band has grown.

Perhaps one of the most interesting characteristics of the band is the name itself, Triceratropical. Cameron owns a Jurassic Park pinball machine in his garage, where the band always practices. Matt is said to have “an affinity for Hawaiian shirts,” according to Michael. This somehow intertwined “triceratops” and “tropical,” and the name Triceratropical was born.

The band’s audience usually consists of local high school students and young adults. They play mostly alternative and indie music, and “love the audiences they play for.”

“When I’m up on stage, all my worries go away. I feel elevated and it’s just me and my music,” Michael said. “The audience is a great part of any show. We always play better when they are pumping us up with their energy.”

The band typically plays at The House of Blues and Peabody’s, but they have upcoming shows at SOMA and Porter’s Pub thanks to their manager Fintan Roche, who the band claims to be the “baddest Brit on the block.”

Triceratropical finds inspiration from bands like Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, and Cage the Elephant. Despite these influences, Michael says that his muse is “my own life experience. I channel that into music that reflects those memories and feelings. Music is truly cathartic and I feel it is an essential part of life.”

To look for upcoming shows and see this band for yourself, check them out on social media. Check them out on Facebook or follow them on Instagram – @triceratropical.