Seniors declare “Year of Bonding”

Matt Nguyen

Seniors come together as one unit to participate in the Our House chant at the fall 2016 rally.

Cat Groenke, Copy Editor

As the first quarter of the 2016-2017 school year comes to a close, Cathedral Catholic High School seniors are seeking and seizing opportunities to bond with their classmates during their last year of high school.

“I think senior overnighter was huge for bonding,” ASB Commissioner of Visual Arts Nicky Shanks ‘17 said. “The boat dance and Knott’s Berry Farm trip are closer to the end of the year, but I think they’ll still be big for bonding, too.”

The senior overnighter, which took place Saturday, represented the first senior-only chance to build community within their class.

The event started with Mass, lending an air of togetherness that pervaded the entire overnighter. After the Mass, seniors danced to music spun by a DJ, and formed large groups to play games like soda pong, ping pong, and hide-and-seek.

“It’s a fun, different way to unwind with friends and classmates,” Senior Class Moderator Mr. Joe Filippone said. “Since becoming moderator, I’ve seen seniors make new friends and grow closer as a class because of senior overnighter.”

Of course, the senior overnighter is not the only chance seniors have to bond during their final high school year.

Francesca Federico ‘17, who leads CCHS spirit club Los Locos, views Los Locos as a way for students, especially seniors, to bond with each other.

“We all come together to support our athletic teams and show camaraderie,” Federico said. “It’s a really positive experience, especially for seniors, since it’s our last year to cheer on our classmates from the student section.”

Seniors also can participate in many other events, including one of several Kairos retreats, the boat dance, the Knott’s Berry Farm trip, and the senior luncheon.

“I’m particularly excited for Grandparents’ Day,” Federico said. “I think it will really help me get to know my classmates and their families.”

Seniors don’t need their own events to bond, though.

“Things like football games and rallies do a lot to help the senior class come together,” Shanks said. “The whole school attends those events, but the seniors really come together as a class and do our best to make it special.”