Girls Golf and Their Strong Captains

The+girls+golf+team+poses+with+Coach+Bradeberry+and+Coach+Filiponi+after+winning+their+match+against+OLP+and+West+Hills.+

Photo Courtesy of Coach Brandeberry

The girls golf team poses with Coach Bradeberry and Coach Filiponi after winning their match against OLP and West Hills.

Brooke Johnston-Quirarte, Staffer

Cathedral Catholic High School’s girls golf team is having an impressive season. The junior varsity team went undefeated and varsity had 7 wins this season. Their team is led by varsity Coach Brandeberry, and JV Coach Rickling. 

The varsity team has a strong captain this year, Renda Wakeman. Wakeman placed in the top 8 individuals at the city conference tournament. Wakeman has led the team through amazing improvement, which has allowed the team to head on the CIF this past week. 

Wakeman had started playing golf when she was 10 years old. She says that her dad is a skilled golfer. Wakeman continues to explain, “he is the one who got me started with golfing. He is a huge motivation to me and he is always encouraging me to work harder and do my best.”

Wakeman’s dad has helped her on her journey with golf. Wakeman sees her dad as her role model and thanks him because she wouldn’t have succeeded this far in golf without him.

Wakeman loves to play golf, she says her favorite aspect of golf is how, “there’s always so much to improve on that I never get tired of playing.”

Wakeman’s love of golf has continued to grow, she has played a great season. Wakeman played in the final day of CIF on November 4th. 

Another key standout on this year’s golf team is Brooke Kinnear. Kinnear started playing golf at 13 years old. Kinnear started to play golf because it was popular in her family, she says that her dad helped her learn the sport.

In order to prepare for each match, Kinnear says, “I make sure I get a lot of practice in and I warm up on the range.”

However, golf is not only a physical sport, but also a mental sport. Before each match Kinnear says, “I need to clear my mind and make sure I’m in the right headspace.” 

Kinnear loves many aspects of golf. Kinnear says, “there’s always something you can work on, there’s always something you can get better at.” 

Kinnear has grown within her sport, this season she made it to the final day of CIF.

Coach Brandeberry, varsity golf coach at CCHS was excited to see all the girls on the team grow this season. 

Coach Brandeberry has been golfing since she was in high school. When the opportunity to coach came up, she took it. 

Coach Brandeberry has enjoyed coaching this season. She says, “its been really fun to see the girls outside of the classroom and get to know them and help them get better at their sport.”

Coach Brandeberry loves watching the girls on the team play a sport that she herself loves. Coach Brandeberry also enjoys watching each player’s love for golf grow. 

The girls golf team has improved dramatically these past years. Coach Brandeberry says, “they have made huge improvements personally in their game since then.”

Coach Brandeberry continues to say, “a lot of girls have gotten their personal best scores, and we got our team personal best this year.” 

The varsity golf team got 2nd as a team at the City Conference tournament, and the JV team got 1st at the City Conference tournament. 

“Golf is a sport of determination, it takes a lot of skill.” Kinnear said.