Beat the recruiting stress blues

As junior year quickly morphs into senior year, Cathedral Catholic High School student-athletes find themselves garnering collegiate athletic opportunities. Moreover, although athletic scholarships come with excitement, they resonate other anxieties while on the field and in the classroom.

According to Student Athlete World, student-athletes who begin the recruiting process early enjoy better chances of connecting with more than 100 potential programs. By doing so, coaches and staff recognize sooner the effort and desire of student-athletes for their intended sports.

As a result of kickstarting their recruiting journeys, student-athletes finding the right school will be more of a personal preference rather than settling on the only school they are able to connect with last minute.

“I started receiving official offers my junior year for track and volleyball,” Air Force Academy commit Cambria Galloway ‘17 said. “I was so happy when I got my first call from Princeton on the first official day coaches were allowed to contact athletes.

“It was like I finally had a weight lifted off my shoulders knowing that schools wanted me.”

After starting the process, talking with coaching staffs and sending in highlight videos become a routine. Interviews and questions unrelated to the sport are imperative to the overall success at a university, and practicing these answers is in a student-athlete’s best interest.

Regardless of the sport, choices on university programs and majors will need to be made. In addition, the recruitment process requires the athlete to respect certain rules and boundaries based on their institutions and team values.

A preconceived mentality of those students not being recruited is that one simply has to pick his or her favorite school with no attached college application and GPA stress, according to Student Athlete World.

However, many of these schools require the exact opposite of their recruits.

Not only is the application processes similar, but so is the stress attached to the idea of college. Both the standard applicant and the athletic recruit make choices affecting their careers and lives in their entirety.

Whether the plan is to excel in government or to excel on the field, success is the common motive. Signing one’s future over is a strenuous decision for any student to make.

It is not simply picking out of a hat.

“I made sure to go to the campuses and meet the teams and coaches of each school that offered me,” Galloway said.” Don’t pick a school just for the name or prestige. Choose a school that you feel most comfortable at.

“After I met the coaches, teams, and cadets at the Air Force academy I knew it was the school. It was where I felt I could succeed the most in my volleyball career and in life.”

While students encounter the excitement of conversing with colleges, it is crucial to remain on top of GPA and graduation credits. Amidst the joyful calls and training camps, it becomes easier to let the numbers slip away.

However, one’s coursework should remain priority, which allows for prestigious universities to make their way to Cathedral Catholic High School to seek out the best of the best.

“My biggest piece of advice for athletes regarding their grades is to manage your time to the best of your ability,” Boston College football commit Patrick Brown ’17 said. “With all the time that you spend at practice, games, etc., the little time that you have for schoolwork gets shrunk. Utilizing all of your time and getting your homework done goes a long way for your success on and off the playing field.”

Another obstacle many athletes encounter is injuries. With today’s advancements, many bounce back better than ever thanks to young age and physical therapy, of course. However, injuries can be just as much as a mental block as it is a physical one.

“I always suggest staying positive and having mental determination,” Colgate University softball commit Olivia La’Qua ‘17 said. “Every athlete has their ups and downs, but an uplifted attitude and mentality is so critical for athletic success. What’s most important is to support your teammates through their hard times, whether that be during a slide into home plate or hopeful words on the sidelines.”