Crosbie riding past her limits

Photo by Melissa Crosbie

Emma Crosbie ’17 competes with her Warmblood horse, Sinatra.

LeeAnne Bates, Sports Editor

After the sugar rush of a delicious slice of birthday cake, Cathedral Catholic High School student Emma Crosbie ’17 anxiously waited in line to ride the oh-so adorable pony.  

Sitting steadily on top of the fluffy pony and instructed to hold tight to the reigns, Crosbie knew horse riding would forever be apart of her life.

“I never wanted to get off,” Crosbie said.  “I just knew.”

After the horse ride at a friend’s birthday party,  Melissa Crosbie immediately helped her daughter into the sport.  Crosbie has been English header/jumper riding since the age of four with her Dutch Warmblood, Sinatra.  The two share a special bond, and after years spent together, Crosbie has been given the opportunity to learn more about Sinatra’s calm personality.

“My horse has always been there for me,” Crosbie said.  “Even if I make a mistake, he’ll be there for me.”

Crosbie has endured numerous injuries throughout her riding career, including a tear to her posterior cruciate ligament.  The PCL tear usually comes from car crashes, but Crosbie suffered the injury while riding.  She also has bruised her tailbone and received a few concussions in the past year alone.  

The pressure to not get injured and compete in tough competitions challenges Crosbie to do all that she can.

“Being under high pressure takes a lot of mental focus and strength, and Emma has proven she can handle it,” Crosbie’s riding coach Dayle Fischer said.

Crosbie plans to compete after high school and possibly make it to the Olympics.  Crosbie will compete in the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association and the National Collegiate Equestrian Association.  

Colleges that interest Crosbie include Baylor University, Southern Methodist University, Texas Christian University, Fresno State, University of Georgia and Auburn University.  

Before Crosbie can move onto a collegiate level, she must face her toughest challenges and keep a good perspective on her goals.

“Equestrian has taught her how to keep the highs of winning in perspective and also how to cope with the disappointment of not winning, which happens often to all riders,” Mrs. Crosbie said. “Ultimately, this sport really teaches mental toughness, hard work and perseverance.”

Crosbie often faces the prospect of riding in front of a crowd.  Shyness, humility and passiveness have prevented Crosbie from illuminating the crowd with her confidence.

Her biggest goal before college is to improve her confidence, focus and mental training.

“I’ve never felt like quitting,” Crosbie said. “My passion drives me.”