Lady Dons water polo closes victorious season

Julia Martinez, Staff Writer

Long hours in the pool and physical strains on the body do not stop the players on the girls water polo team from hard work and determination for victory. Imagine treading water for long periods of time while having to move fast and trying to catch a ball, all while defending your own team.

The ladies water polo team does exactly that. They have been working hard since the beginning of the second semester at practices, swimming to build up their endurance, and performing different drills to help improve their passing and shot-making. Also, the Lady Dons have been working on different plays to stay versatile and well-equipped.

Coach Nichole Davidson, a graduate of Wagner College where she played water polo, has mentored the team on how to perform. The captains of the team are Kelsey Blacker, Gabi Herrick, and Sarah Lewis.

“On our team, we all work together to motivate and encourage one another,” said Remy Jones, a senior on the team. “Every player brings different aspects to our team to make it strong and their particular talents help us win games and improve as a team.”

The girls have been fully committed overall to be victorious. According to MaxPreps, (click here http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/cathedral-catholic-dons-(san-diego,ca)/girls-water-polo-winter/home.htm), the team has won 13 games and had 11 losses, and besides Coronado High School, who beat our girls three times within the season and two weeks ago, the Lady Dons came out victorious by one point in CIF against the Islanders, showing their hard work.

Although they lost the CIF Championship to Bishops, the girls never fell short of commitment. The team has not had a complete winning streak, but their work does not fall short. The players look to continue to use their individual strengths to help the team make great wins in the upcoming years, as they did this 2015 season.

Be sure to follow @ElCidSports on Twitter for updates on all of our sports teams.