Boys varsity soccer finishes season in nail-biter CIF game

On Saturday, March 3rd, the boy’s varsity soccer team (18-6-3) took on archrival Saints (17-5-4) for the third time this season in the CIF Division III finals. The Dons had defeated Saints two times earlier this year, 2-1 and 3-1.
Eager for a third straight victory and another CIF banner, the boys were off to a great start; senior captain Jared Hegardt crossed a beautiful ball into the box to senior Robby Gomez, who flicked the ball with great touch to the back post. The Dons went into the break with the momentum in their favor.
In the second half, Cathedral played phenomenal defense, shutting down the Saintsmen’s offense, but with six minutes left in the second half, a throw in from twelve yards away was the tying goal. Goalie Giovanni Garbella went up for the ball but was forcefully dragged down. In the process, the ball came lose from Giovanni’s gloves and rolled into the goal, tying the score with only six minutes left. Regulation ended at a 1:1 draw, and a 15-minute golden goal (first goal wins) was about to take place.
Both teams were unable to score in extra time despite a couple of chances by the Dons. Jared’s free kick into the opposite side of the box to a header by senior team captain Chris Sennes  just missed the top of the crossbar, almost giving the Dons the win. With extra time coming to an end, still tied at 1:1, penalty kicks were up next. The Dons were up first, making their first two free kicks, as did Saints.
The third penalty kick was taken by junior Spencer Schmitt, which hit off the left post. Saints seized the missed penalty kick, and took the opportunity to go up 3-2. CC made their last two penalty kicks, ending with a blast top right corner from Chris. Tied at 4-4, Saints could finally win a CIF championship this year with a make. Walking up to take the shot, the ball was blasted just out of the reach of Giovanni, giving Saints the Division III Championship.
With this loss the boys were unable to play in the CIF So-Cal regional playoffs.