Fighting for security

Mercy Sosa

More stories from Mercy Sosa

Lunch not included
October 16, 2018
Spanish for life
March 9, 2018

Protect those passwords, Dons

In order to stress the importance of cyber security and password protection, the U.S. celebrates today National Password Day.

Photo by Cole Hume

Like many Cathedral Catholic High School students, Malea Malone ’19 sees hacking as an issue that would never affect her.

“I never thought it was such a serious thing,” Malone said. “I usually use numbers that are really easy to remember, like years and my favorite TV show characters because it’s easy to memorize, and I know I’ll never forget my password.”

The U.S. celebrates National Password Day today as a reminder to citizens to protect themselves from the increasing problem of hacking. Since CCHS provides its students each year with new iPads and new emails, making them vulnerable to unauthorized access.

Technology shapes the modern world, with millions of people using electronics daily, making susceptible to hacking.

Malone is not the only person unconcerned about hacking.

In a recent El Cid survey of 50 CCHS students, approximately 61 percent said their passwords related to some aspect of their lives, such as pets, birthdays, or favorite TV shows.

Most students also are trusting when it comes to using thumbprints as passwords. More than 70 percent of students say they use thumbprints as passwords, and roughly 15 percent of students say it depends, with more than 36 percent saying they use either escalating or repeating numbers as their passwords. However, about 62 percent report they do not trust this method.

Unlike Malone, CCHS student Georgia Germain ’19 is concerned about online security.

“I have been reached by Apple before,” Germain said. “They called to tell me that my Apple personal iPad ID was hacked into. So, I like to make sure that the important things, such as my email, have secure passwords.”

Students can prevent any type of unauthorized access into their emails, iPads and even social media.

Mike Norris, CCHS assistant director of technology, suggests that students take their time when making their passwords.

If you don’t want to be a victim of hacking, it is important to make a lengthy password that contains 8-12 characters with lowercase letters.” Said Mr. Norris. 

You also want to use something that means something to you, but nobody knows.”

— Mr. Norris

Prevention is the best policy for students to follow to prevent unwanted intrusions. However, CCHS understands incidents occur, and the result is not always placed on the student.

“CCHS will always support its students when it comes to something this serious,” Norris said. “We will help them reset their passwords, track any emails sent out, and contact google, if necessary.

“It’s better to be safe than sorry.”

About the Writer
Mercy Sosa, Social Media Editor

My name is Mercy Sosa, and I am a junior at Cathedral Catholic High School. A first year El Cid member, I hold the position of social media editor. World current events and my passion for writing inspired me to join El Cid in an effort and wanting to inform, inspire, and entertain CCHS students. Last year, I served as vice president of Las Rosas Club, which informs students about Chicano culture and the meaning behind the variety of art displayed in Chicano Park. I also have competed on the CCHS swim team during my freshmen and sophomore year. Additionally, I played the violin for five years in the San Diego Youth Symphony and most recently in the CCHS Orchestra, where I learned commitment and perseverance. My family and friends also inspire me to do better everyday while keeping me laughing. I aspire to be someone who makes a difference in the world either through writing or serving the community. Making other people’s lives better provide me purpose.