Honor in art

Angelina Hicks, Copy Editor

Photo by Angelina Hicks
CCHS students Cat Noya ‘18 and Bonnie Yu ‘18 (left to right) pose at Liberty Station in Point Loma with their honorable mention certificates for the “9-12 Two Dimensional Art” category at the 2018 Youth Art Month.

The San Diego Watercolor Society recognized six Cathedral Catholic High School artists for outstanding artistic achievement in the 2018 Youth Art Month Exhibition last Friday at the SDWS gallery at Liberty Station in Point Loma.

After art teachers Ms. Amanda Packer Rybicki and Ms. Marianne Goyette submitted art created by students to SDWS, they accepted Max Beyer ‘18, Cat Noya ‘18, Bonnie Yu ‘18, Maile Spence ‘19, Maddie Sanford ‘19, and Jesse Wasa ‘20 to be featured in the show from Jan. 17 to Feb. 2.

Ms. Susan Lewis, coordinator of the Youth Art Exhibition, awarded students Feb.2  grades kindergarten through 12th grade during the closing ceremony.

Noya and Yu received honorable mention awards for their art submissions in the category “9-12 Two Dimensional Art,” and they expressed gratitude and honor to have been awarded for their hard work.

“It’s really cool for me to have my artwork displayed in a show like this and to be recognized,” Noya said. “It’s just touching to know that people like the things I create.”

Attending for a second year, Yu is not a stranger to the Youth Art Exhibition.

“I was here last year, and it’s really interesting to see all the other artists and their art,” Yu said. “I’m very grateful to have gotten an award.”

The Youth Art Exhibition, an event hosted by the California Art Education Association, displays student art to be viewed by the public.

SDWS, a nonprofit art organization who hosted the event, holds art exhibits, classes, and workshops to promote the importance of arts, especially water-based art, to San Diegans.

The organization’s mission is “to be an ongoing recognized leader in expanding the appreciation of and involvement in watermedia painting through member instruction, exhibition, community education, and promotion,” according to its website.

The art show had a large turnout this year with approximately 143 student artists featured in the show from all around San Diego County.

“I really enjoy making art,” Noya said. “Even though I don’t [create art] for other people, it’s nice to have validation that what I do can make other people happy, too.”

About the Writer
Angelina Hicks, News Editor

During my second year on the El Cid staff, this time honored with the title of News Editor, I plan to spend every moment striving to improve academically and intellectually while also making joyous memories in the ever-growing journalism program. After getting my feet wet last year as Copy Editor, I look forward to continuing my growth as a journalist and pushing myself farther than I ever thought possible in order to achieve greatness with my writing. Not only did my writing’s quality grow exponentially throughout last year, but my confidence did as well. Before I realized it, my heart found its place with the El Cid members, a group of students I can truly call my second family. Through writing about various individuals on campus and learning the art of interviewing, I gained life lessons I never could have gained anywhere else. I cannot wait to help expand the wonderful journalism program for another year through my passion and hard work.