Practice perfects Pride and Prejudice

LeeAnne Bates

The cast and crew of the Cathedral Catholic High School fall play, Pride and Prejudice, bow at the end of their first performance last Friday.

LeeAnne Bates, Sports Editor

Opening on a simple Victorian set with soft lighting and classical music flooding the venue, the Cathedral Catholic High School drama department presented the fall play Pride & Prejudice last weekend at the Guadalupe Center.

The play began with a simple introduction of the Bennet sisters, the five sisters Pride & Prejudice focuses on, but it quickly moved into the romantic drama. The first lines of the play were strong and well rehearsed. The actors and actresses held their own with clear enunciation and plenty of personality.

Each character received a detailed gown or suit tailored to their roll, accompanied by an elegant updo by Secrets Wigs. Each actor looked as if he or she had stepped right out of Jane Austen’s novel.

“I really like the costumes; I think they’re beautiful,” CCHS student Alexis Friedman ’19 said.  “I loved all the updos for the Bennet sisters and the wigs looked good on everybody.”

Each Bennet played her particular role exceedingly well. Lydia Bennet, played by Kiki Carney ’19, was bubbly and extroverted. On stage, Carney kept the enthusiasm and love-lust going throughout the play without a hint of exhaustion.

Mary Bennet, played by Maddie Aldecoa ’18, was a complete turnaround from Carney’s character, as the role demands. The two actresses served as foils, balancing each other out with Mary’s introversion and gloomy exterior.

Natalie Hynes ’17 played Jane Bennet, the character hopelessly in love with Charles Bingley, played by Henry Pedersen ’17. The duo made the perfect pair for skipping across the stage and pulling at the audience’s heart strings. They danced every number romantically in love and provoked the occasional “aw” from audience members.

“I really liked the play,” CCHS student Kimmy Kelly ’17 said. “My favorite part was the dancing; it was well rehearsed.”

Once Mr. Darcy, played by Nicholas Garcia ’18, entered the stage, the ambiance of the play changed from light and merry to dark and tense. The dark hair and dark suit Mr. Darcy sported worked in Garcia’s favor, portraying him as as stern, brooding character. His realistic accent made audience members eager for more.

Aside from the excellent casting choices made by director and drama teacher Katie Wilson, the behind the scenes crew made the play possible.

With good timing of lighting and music, the whole play was pieced together well. Although there were various microphone problems, the malfunctions were easily overlooked with a fluid continuation of the play as though nothing was wrong.

“Our cast and crew was very professional,” Garcia said. “We worked very well together.”

One outstanding and noteworthy detail of the play was hard to miss. Aside from his key role as Mr. Bingley, Pedersen had the task of scenic design.  While the set was simple, every component was necessary to the performance.

Toward the end of the play, Sophie Otto ’18, playing Elizabeth Bennet, performed a monologue center stage with a single spotlight on her. Every breath was timed to perfection without a tremble in her voice.  

“I’ve heard the theater department here was amazing,” audience member Jennifer Curran said.  “And from what I’ve seen, it’s true.”