Catholic Schools Week shines spotlight on benefits of Catholic education

Photo by Monica Inoue

St. Thérèse chapel offers a place for students to express their spirituality.

Monica Inoue, Spiritual Life Editor

Lining up on the blacktop or the playground outside for morning announcement and prayer, Catholic elementary school alumni might recall the usual activities held during Catholic Schools Week.  An all school Mass, a special day for students and teachers, open houses and fun activities all occurred in one week.

While the week itself brought a lot of excitement for Catholic students, a student might realize that Catholic Schools Week and Catholic education have had an impact on his or her faith.

This week, Cathedral Catholic High School and Catholic schools around the nation are celebrating Catholic Schools Week.

“[Catholic Schools Week] is one of the issues of solidarity,” Director of Liturgies Mrs. Sandy Blackstone-Gardner said. “We are aware that Catholic education does not just reside in Cathedral. All Catholic schools embrace the mission of building the kingdom of God.”

With enrollment declining in many Catholic schools, this week serves as an opportunity to revive the enthusiasm for Catholic education. Though Catholic schools struggle with a decreasing number of students and limited finances, many students from Catholic schools perform higher on standardized tests and boast higher rates of college attendance, according to the ACT website.

For instance, the average ACT score in California was 22.2, while Cathedral’s average was 24. Catholic Schools Week is a time to acknowledge the positive impact Catholic education makes on students.

“It is good to be reminded that you are fortunate to be at a school [like CCHS],” Campus Minister Dominique Shepherd ’16 said. “It reminds you that you can celebrate your faith, and a lot of schools like public schools do not have that type of opportunity.”

According to the National Catholic Education Association, this year’s theme is “Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service.” Each day centers a particular theme. Sunday focuses within the parish, Monday within the community, Tuesday on the students, Wednesday in the nation, Thursday within vocations, Friday in the faculty, and Saturday in families.

“The pope’s challenge to be merciful is simply an extension of our CCHS school missions,” Assistant Principal Ms. Margaret Mauro said.

During Catholic School’s Week, Cathedral’s announcements include special prayers and interesting facts about Catholic Schools.

Other events include having activities that celebrate students’ Catholic roots.  There will be an Over-The-Line tournament, a bat and ball game played between two teams of three players. Students will sign up for their old Catholic elementary schools and compete against students that came from another Catholic elementary school in a friendly game. Students who came from public schools can still participate by joining a friend’s team and signing up for his or her Catholic school.

The Campus Ministers are involved in Catholic Schools Week, visiting their Catholic elementary school and bringing cards and a small treat for the students there. The Campus Ministry Liturgy class is creating videos that focus on Cathedral’s Expected School-wide Learning Results that promote Catholic values.  The Junior Unity Mass, which took place earlier this week, further highlighted the community aspect of the Catholic faith and community.

In addition to the festivities, CCHS students and faculty can expect a little surprise. Teachers will also receive a prayer card associated with Catholic Schools Week.

“[There will also be] a little treat for students and teachers,” Ms. Mauro said.

On Jan. 23, a week before the official start of Catholic Schools week, many middle school students took the test to continue their Catholic education. CCHS, as well as other Catholic high schools, hosted high school placement exams.

Christian Ambassador Megan Lowrie ’16 said, “All my [prospective student] ‘shadows’ have been from Catholic schools.”

One of the reasons a student may have taken the exam is to continue with a school that encourages and fosters the student’s faith.

“Coming from a Catholic School already, students are looking for a Catholic high school,” Lowrie said. “It is either us, Saints, or OLP.”

While the three Catholic high schools are different, they all share in the mission of spreading the Catholic faith and building the kingdom of God.  Catholic schools play a significant role in forming a young person’s faith.

“Catholic education is open to anyone,” Mrs. Blackstone-Gardner said. “And one way for it to be open is for all schools being proud during Catholic Schools’ Week.”

There are a variety of activities for students during Catholic Schools Week, which serves as a reminder of the role Catholic education plays on a person’s faith, and it calls people to continue to live out their faith in their daily lives.