Cathedral’s first cabaret tomorrow in the Guadalupe Center

Melissa Vorndran, Staff Writer

The Cathedral Catholic drama department will present its first cabaret of the school year, Singing Sondheim, tomorrow, September 12.

Started last year based on the traditional concept of the New York City cabaret, the CCHS cabarets will be a “small, intimate venue for singer performers to be storytellers through song,” said Ms. Katie Wilson, head of the drama department.

This debut cabaret features songs from Stephen Sondheim, the composer behind shows like “Into the Woods”, “Company”, “West Side Story”, and “Gypsy.” Students are prepared for the challenges that these songs present in Ms. Wilson’s advanced drama classes.

“Everyone participating really is doing a masterful job with some of the most difficult pieces in the musical theater lexicon,” Ms. Wilson said.

Cabarets give students the opportunity to perform outside of the typical drama production. Those in Ms. Wilson’s advanced drama classes or those who audition with Ms. Wilson, contribute ideas and performances to the cabarets.

“The Cathedral Catholic family is just very supportive, and you feel really good after your performance,” senior William Yuze Li said.

Singing Sondheim, like future cabarets at CCHS, is a one-night only event held in the Guadalupe Center. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., and performances start at 7 p.m. Tickets can be bought at the door. They cost 5 dollars for individuals and twenty dollars for families. The CCHS student activity card also covers the price of the cabarets.

Ms. Wilson encourages students to attend Singing Sondheim and future cabaret events.

“You get to see your friends who are going to be big Broadway and movie stars in just a couple of years,” Ms. Wilson said. “And you might as well see them now while the tickets are only five dollars.”