Homecoming approaches, ASB “looking forward to a great night”

Homecoming approaches, ASB looking forward to a great night

Celine Aubry-Dumand, News Editor

Homecoming is quickly approaching! ASB has been preparing for the event since June, and they, like many students, have been anticipating its arrival.

This year, homecoming takes place on Saturday, October 18th in the Claver Center Gym from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Cathedral’s 2014 homecoming theme, as recently announced the other day at school by one enthused ASB member, is “Under the CC” – a play on ‘under the sea.’

Ms. Lagrimas, director of Student Activities (ASB) at Cathedral Catholic, described the months of effort that both the old and the current ASB members put into picking this year’s theme and preparing for the event. Ms. Lagrimas said, “The current ASB worked throughout the summer up until now to plan for homecoming night. Everyone works together to create decorations and plan the event.”

Cathedral Catholic’s ASB President, Marika Vigo, added: “Commissioners of Art and Drama Tech help create posters and the bigger decorations for the dance.”

Referring back to the theme, “Under the CC”, Ms. Lagrimas explained that ASB avoided childish themes as much as possible to ensure that it appeals to a larger audience of people. She said, “Plays on words in a theme haven’t been done before until this year”. However, Marika emphasized that “We [ASB] like to keep our themes original.”

The most important thing when choosing a theme is making sure that it can be incorporated into a rally, which takes place the day before homecoming. Ms. Lagrimas said that, regarding prospective themes, ASB asks questions such as “What would decorations be like?,” “Are people going to enjoy it?,” and “Is it going to be expensive purchasing the decorations?” Before finalizing the theme, ASB votes as a team, and whichever theme has the most votes is selected.

As important as it may be to have fun at the dance, it is equally important for all the students to dress appropriately. This year will be even stricter, according to Ms. Lagrimas. She said, “Young ladies have to be aware that if their dresses are inappropriate they will be sent home. Too many people in past years came to homecoming in inappropriate dresses, seeing PE shorts and shirts as a mark of status.”

Continuing on this note, Ms. Lagrimas said, “It is a struggle for the Deans Office to keep everyone wearing appropriate outfits, which is why this year the administration will be more direct. “We used the same directions at last year’s prom and we had no problems,” she said. The guidelines for the dance are available on the ASB page and the CCHS homepage. They will also be emailed to all students. Note that doors close between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.

ASB is looking forward to an amazing homecoming night. “It’s not too early and not too late this year,” said Ms. Lagrimas, “We had a great turnout last year with over 1,000 people attending. We’re hoping for just as many people to attend this year’s homecoming.”

With homecoming just around the corner, students are preparing for a big night. The girls are getting their dresses and the guys are deciding which suits to wear. The excitement is building as Cathedral students look forward to another great homecoming!