A helping hand

Chloe Staples, Photo Editor

The Cathedral Catholic High School Rho Kappa Honor Society paired with the Sunny 98.1 radio station to collect gifts this week for Rady Children’s Hospital to bring kids joy during the holiday season.

“We were contacted by 98.1 because a student’s dad works for the radio station, and he wanted CCHS to participate,” CCHS social science teacher Mrs. Christi Harrington said.

This event, which ranks as San Diego’s biggest toy drive, provides toys for the hospital throughout the year. The radio station, helping collect toys for babies and adolescents for the drive, was pleased with the amount of donations they received, which totaled to approximately 3 full boxes of toys, Mrs. Harrington said.

The toy drive is a part of a bigger San Diego occurrence, the 17th annual AJ’s Kids Crane. During the four-day event, radio host Mr. AJ Machado lives in 30-foot scissor lift in the IKEA Mission Valley parking lot as people travel to donate toys and participate in various family-friendly games and activities.

“We were able to collect a pretty sizable amount of toys,” Mrs. Harrington said. “We were very pleased that we able to make an impact on such a great cause.”

About the Writer
Chloe Staples, Photo Editor

During my sophomore year at Cathedral Catholic High School this year, I look forward to writing for El Cid as the Photo Editor and experiencing the writing...