Honoring the dead

Ella Wishchuk, Assistant Spiritual Life Editor

The Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini Chapter of the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica at Cathedral Catholic High School, also known as the Spanish Honors Society, organized a Día de los Muertos altar in the St. Therese Chapel open to all CCHS students, teachers, and faculty from Oct. 22 to Nov. 2.

The Spanish Honor Society, working alongside the Diversion and Inclusion Club and Mission and Ministry, encourages everyone to bring objects connected to loved ones who have passed, such as colorful pictures, crosses, or candles.

“Even those who do not usually celebrate [Día de los Muertos] are welcome to contribute and put a picture of their lost ones in the altar because the altar is open to all,” vice president of the Spanish Honor Society Isabelle Bursulaya ‘20 said.

Día de los Muertos, also known as Day of the Dead, is a holiday celebrated in Mexico and Latin America that remembers those people who have passed away and moved on the next life.

“Our society believes it was important to create the altar because there are many people at this school who celebrate Día de los Muertos,” Bursulaya said. “The altar honors those who have passed onto the other world, and it is believed that those who have departed come back to visit their families.”

Additionally, CCHS honored those people who have passed through a school-wide All Saints Day mass Nov. 1 in the Claver Center.

About the Writer

As a sophomore at Cathedral Catholic High School, I look forward to blossoming as a young journalist and becoming a new member of the El Cid team. I consider...