CCHS drama waltzes down “42nd Street”

Lauren Boyer, News Editor

The Cathedral Catholic High School drama department will open its rendition of the popular Broadway musical “42nd Street” Friday, with five additional shows being presented throughout a two-week long run.

“Every performance, orchestra, and production member, as well as the sets, production value, and costumes rival that of a Broadway production,” CCHS drama teacher Ms. Katie Wilson said. “We are also so fortunate that shows are such and interest and a draw for the CCHS community.”

“42nd Street,” a 1949 Tony Award-winning play, takes place in depression-era 1930s, centering around actors who need their production of “Pretty Lady” to be successful in order to save their careers. CCHS students Nick Garcia ‘18 plays the role of director Julian Marsh is played by Nick Garcia ‘18, Emily Smedley ‘18 revives the role of veteran Broadway actress Dorothy Brock, and Jenna Viana ‘18 portrays small town girl with big dreams Peggy Sawyer.

The musical features ample tap dancing choreographed by Chelsea Lapp, a longtime student of and aide to Ms. Wilson. Matthew Herman, another Ms. Wilson protege, heads the designing and building of the set with the help of CCHS drama crew. “42nd Street” will be Mr. Herman’s last project in San Diego before moving to New York City.

Rehearsals for “42nd Street” began after the fall production “Dead Man Walking” closed in October.

About the Writer
Lauren Boyer, News Editor
My name is Lauren Boyer, and I am a junior at Cathedral Catholic High School. I am not a cub reporter, but this is my first year writing for El Cid. I spend most of my time with friends and family, listening to music, volunteering, traveling, and participating in track and field during the spring...