Technology issues? Pray to St. Isidore of Seville!

Monica Inoue, Staff Writer

Accidentally playing videos that appear in other classrooms, air dropping pictures to unintended recipients, plugging cords in the wrong slots and still unaware of why computers are not working – these are just some of the technological setbacks faced by teachers and students alike. Other common problems include issues with downloading books, Apple TVs not working as they should, slow internet connection, and frozen iPads, which seem to be fixed with a little bit of technological trickery.

However, most technological problems are “so simple that you forget about them,” said Cathedral Catholic High School’s technological specialist Mr. Jack Wager, who solves many of the technological problems that arise on the campus. Nevertheless, technology and its problems remain prominent in this day and age. Besides the help of technological specialists, when having trouble with technology, people can seek the help of a saint whose specialty involves helping people having digital issues.

St. Isidore of Seville is the patron saint of technology. A patron saint is regarded as a special guardian of a certain people, group, trade, item, or almost any association. Born into a family of strong-minded saints, St. Isidore lived during the sixth century in Spain. Although St. Isidore was an intelligent man, his brother used to beat him to make him learn. St. Isidore ran away due to frustration from his brother’s abuse. When he ran away, he noticed water dripping down and wearing away a rock. He realized that he, like that drop, could gradually progress in his studies and learn, while wearing down his brother’s heart. St. Isidore later returned and forgave his brother, and eventually worked side by side with him. He overcame his past abuse, and embraced learning, later giving him the name “Schoolmaster of the Middle Ages.”

Besides being bishop of Seville for 37 years, St. Isidore wrote many books about grammar, astronomy, geography, history, and theology, and created an encyclopedia, which at the time was deemed very technologically advanced. St. Isidore is the patron saint of technology because of his strive and contribution towards progression and dedication for learning.

In the quest for the perfect prayer for St. Isidore of Seville, some elements of the prayer may address common technological problems ranging from slow Internet connection to flooded networks. A person might experience slow Internet and constantly click the refresh button, and with St. Isidore’s intercession, it is possible that the page might load quicker. An iPad could be frozen for an unknown reason, and after someone randomly presses several buttons, the device might starts working, which could be St. Isidore guiding the person’s mind or device. This prayer would probably address or be used for general problems and use involving technology.

However the perfect prayer could also consist of guidance and proper use of the Internet. With knowledge and information at the click of a button or tap of a screen, many temptations are easily accessible. An element of the prayer could be to help us be “focused and disciplined to use the Internet in a good way, and to be knowledgeable about what is a distraction and what is an unhealthy use of the Internet” said Ms. Marie Lopez, a sophomore and junior religion teacher at Cathedral Catholic high school. Overall, we could use “St. Isidore’s intercession for wisdom of use for the Internet.”

Other elements of the prayer might include following St. Isidore’s example. During the time of St. Isidore, putting together an encyclopedia was a major advancement and accomplishment. In the prayer, we could ask to continue to further technology and our knowledge by “preserving, spreading it, and making it better. And to continue to advance, because that is what he seemed to be about,” said Mr. Wager. As we continue to grow and technology advances, we could challenge ourselves to add to this progression and make our own developments that might be beneficial to our community.

This prayer for St. Isidore could incorporate many elements from technology problems, proper use and discipline with technology, and our own advancement. While searching for this perfect prayers, other elements and ideas are encouraged (and could be commented below). Especially in this technological age, St. Isidore is one of the many patron saints that could help with our everyday lives.

Here is one prayer to St. Isidore:

Almighty and eternal God,
 who created us in Thy image and bade us to seek after all that is good,
 true and beautiful,
 especially in the divine person of Thy only-begotten Son, 
our Lord Jesus Christ,

Grant we beseech Thee that 
through the intercession of Saint Isidore,
 bishop and doctor,
 during our journeys through the internet we will direct our hands and eyes only to that which is pleasing to Thee, and treat with charity and patience all those souls whom we encounter.

Through Christ our Lord,

Amen.