New AVID Program teaches “lifelong learning skills”

New AVID Program teaches lifelong learning skills

Mitchell Sigesmund, Staff Writer

“AVID is a small learning community where students work in groups to reach their full potential,” said Cathedral Counselor Mrs. Julianne Velasco. AVID, which stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination, exists for students who need extra help in academics. The requirements for students to participate in the program include both having between a 2.5 and 3.5 grade point average and being a “motivated” student.

“The program teaches students the lifelong skills of studying and organization in an effective way. It also teaches them to be motivated and to achieve all that they can,” said Assistant Principal of Academics Mrs. Sharon Rubalcava. She said the goal of the program is to give students, who normally wouldn’t excel, a chance to better their education.

The program, however, is not available to all grade levels. “The class is only offered to freshmen and sophomores right now. But, our hope is to have the class be offered to all grade levels and have it be a four-year commitment. The teachers involved currently are: Mrs. Helbling, Mr. Derenthal, Mrs. Bailleul, and Mrs. Bormann. We are still discussing who the teachers would be in higher grade levels,” said Assistant Principal of Academics, Mrs. Rubalcava.

The current teachers, such as AVID math teacher Mr. Tim Derenthal, have hopeful expectations for the program. “It was a touchy start. It is a new program here, and at the beginning, the students had a hard time accepting the learning strategies. As the year has progressed, the students have started to believe in the techniques. As of now, I would say the students have increased their study skills in terms of critical reading and note taking,” said Mr. Derenthal

Still, teachers realize that working with AVID students may pose challenges. Mrs. Christy Bailleul, an AVID English teacher, said, “Half the battle is getting an AVID kid to want to be there. Your will and drive [must] come from within.”

Believing in the program seems to be the key. “When a kid is committed to their education and they practice their skills, they will see success,” said Mrs. Bailleul. Students must also understand the program. “I tell my students what to do, but I also tell them why to do it,” she said.

AVID works in a very specific way, ” highlighting five key concepts: Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading. Every class should operate in these five principles, not just AVID,” said Mrs. Bailleul. Bailleul, along with the other teachers, try to incorporate the techniques used in AVID to their regular classes. “AVID is just good teaching,” she said.