Dons “never backed down,” own three-game winning streak

Lorenzo Aguilar, Staff Writer

As the Dons varsity basketball team started league strong, they continued to extend their winning streak when they beat University City High School, allowing them to go 2-1 in the Western League.

The Dons’ came to a quick lead in the their second away game of the season, with juniors Kyle Kappes and Reid Johnson each knocking down two three-pointers to gain up on the Centurions 18-6. At halftime, the Dons fell of their game slightly, as UC began to trail them 32-25.

Fortunately, the Dons were able to close in on their opponents during the last half of the game, clinching the win at 76-61. Junior Austin Beech contributed greatly to the team, scoring 19 points and 5 rebounds. Kappes and Johnson both snagged another 17 and 12 points, respectively. Junior Jack Vecchio also scored 12 points for the team as he came up off the bench.

“We wanted to make sure we won right away, so we never backed down and had great contribution, not only in points, but in assists too, as Cameron Moore led with assists 8 in the game” said junior Mike Marshall.

The Dons next game was against Lincoln High School, their first home game since falling to Saints.

This time, the Dons proved to be the better team, as they had a great start to the game, leading 23-8 after the first quarter. By halftime, the score increased to 33-15. At the game’s conclusion, the Dons won their third consecutive game at 60-47.

Kappes had great contributions as he drained 5 threes and scored 17 points overall, along with his teammate Johnson, who added 18 points and 9 rebounds. Beech, who was playing both an offensive and defensive game, scored 12 points, 10 rebounds and 5 steals!

The Dons are now 3-1 in Western League. “We feel great right now, and everyone is contributing to the team. Kyle Kappes was on fire today, making every shot he took, and Austin Beech had plenty of steals, too,” said Vecchio.

The Dons varsity basketball team looks to extend their streak when they play Mission Bay tonight at 7:30 PM at Mission Bay High School.

Be sure to follow @ElCidSports on Twitter for updates on the team and their season.