Surf team starts season, showcases young talent (slideshow)

The 2012 CCHS surf team is showing lots of young raw talent this year and has had a very impressive season thus far.  The 2012 roster consists of 40 members, mainly freshmen and sophomores.

One of the most impressive members of the team, Ricky Cunningham, happens to be a freshman.  Ricky is ranked first in the long board category and sixth in the short board category, according to the Scholastic Surf Series (SSS).  He is a dynamic surfer who has managed to win a medal in every competition this season.

The team is fortunate enough to have four surfers (Max Mabile, Stanton Presar, Ricky Cunningham and Christopher Clark) listed in the Top 20 overall surfers in the league, as stated by the SSS.

The surfers practice as a team every Monday down at 15th street in Del Mar, but many members dedicate extra time during the week to touching up on their skills and improving.

With regards to the team’s record, they have had difficulty coming out on top in team vs. team competition through the SSS; however, at every meet, at least one member of the team has received a medal.  They are very strong individual competitors.

The club moderator and head coach, Mr. Chris Theobald, is very impressed with the team this year.

“This team has a lot of underclassmen who will certainly benefit the team in the future, as well as upperclassmen that are awesome competitors,” he said.  “They each are a special part of the team and enjoy working together and competing.”

This is coach Theobald’s fourth year as a moderator and coach.

The team always welcomes new members and encourages those who are interested to join for the 2013 season.

“There are good vibes going down on 15th street,” said senior Connor Parnell.  “Grab a board and a buddy and come on down to join us.”