A fun and faith-filled time

Photo by Mr. Nicholas Hurt

Junior retreat, which happens twice a school year, is an important milestone in CCHS students’ experiences. The January retreat group leaves Jan. 20 and returns Jan. 22.

Melissa Vorndran, Copy Editor

There are certain events in each school year that stand out as landmarks: the first football game, prom, and, for Cathedral Catholic High School Students, junior retreat.

This rite of passage is a beloved part of many students’ experience at CCHS.

“I would absolutely recommend it to all juniors, even if your friends aren’t going,” Kat Mcconville ’17, who went on the first retreat, said. “Everyone who went came away with so many new friends and experiences.”

The second junior retreat of the school year departs this Wednesday, Jan. 20, and returns on Jan. 22. Juniors and Campus Ministers alike are excited for the experiences that the retreat will bring.

“I’m so excited to get a chance to go and build stronger relationships with everyone that is going,” Graham Valentine ’17 said. “It’s a unique opportunity.”

Because this retreat is off-campus and optional, it is a slightly different experience than the retreats offered to underclassmen, which are on-campus.

“This retreat is not required, so it attracts students that want to grow deeper in their faith,” Campus Minister Adriana Halabo ’16 said. “Since [the students] are older, the Campus Ministry class plans faith talks and activities that are deeper than those at the underclassmen retreats.”

About 110 juniors will attend the retreat, which is held at Whispering Winds in Julian. The Campus Ministry class has planned plenty of activities, many of which are kept secret until the students arrive.

“It’s going to be fun, exciting and a lot of energy,” Director of Retreats Mr. Jeff Gramme said. “But also, its a chance to deepen [students’] faith and relationships with their classmates.”

The Campus Ministry team has worked hard to put together the retreat, and they hope the current juniors will get as much out of their retreat as the Campus Ministers did from their junior retreat last year.

“Seeing the hard work that the ministers put in come to fruition at the retreat is my favorite part,” Mr. Gramme said. “It’s really neat to watch that happen.”

Cathedral’s community prayer provides unique inspiration for each class, freshman to senior year. The junior class motto, “Build the Kingdom,” will serve as the theme for junior retreat.

“I really hope that the juniors will come to realize the true meaning of ‘building the kingdom.’” Halabo said. “It’s everyone’s job to work on their own faith, but in the end the ultimate goal is a shared kingdom with Christ!”

The CCHS community will pray for those attending the retreat this week, and underclassmen can look forward to signing up for the retreat their junior year.